

JMS Faculty Meeting Minutes
May 5, 2017

In attendance:

1. Deni Elliott
2. Tony Silvia
3. Mark Walters
4. Chris Campbell
5. Bahaa Gameel
6. Casey Peterson
7. Janet Keeler
8. Monica Ancu
9. Casey Frechette
10. Bernardo Motta
11. Joan Eldridge

DE: Please send a list of accomplishments for the meeting this afternoon.

CF reviews assessment process / data collection steps.

DE: For the past four years or so, the university has been pursuing a revenue-generating model for summer wherein we strive to break even at the department level.

We need to make as much profit as we can -- it comes back to us in terms of revenue sharing.

There are some exceptions: We don't get docked the difference between 20 and say 33 for skills classes. But, we have to get the 20.

The best thing we can do is run popular courses and run courses taught by adjuncts.

Courses taught by adjuncts will make up for losses by others.

MA: We had some very popular classes, including Intro to Blogging and Journalists in the Movies. We teach those during the regular semesters now. Intro to Blogging is on a two year rotation. I think we should offer it more often and in the summer.

I'm not sure about NNB in the summer. I know we have students graduating who need it.

BM: I have at least 15 students registered across all four classes combined, which is a special arrangement for this particular class.

DE: There's a difference between cross listing and dual listing courses. When two departments meet for a class concurrently, they're crosslisted. Dual listed classes are from the same department and need to be clearly differentiated and taught as separate courses.

BM: But in this case I'm being paid for one class, and the sessions are being combined into one.

MA: We can make the case that the class is needed for graduation.

JE: Students have also come to expect that the course will be offered in the summer. We need to make clear that moving the course out of the summer will affect progression toward degree.

DE: In terms of summer enrollment, we're going to need to plan more strategically in the future so they fill.

TS: Could you flip the students from Engaging Communities into NNB?

BM: The classes are together, even though they're listed separately.

MA: Some have already taken NNB?

BM: Yes.

DE: Another possibility might be to do NNB for up to 6 credits rather than the Engaging Communities offshoot. I also understood that we were using NNB over the summer for continuity with the community and partnerships.

DE: So, for now, don't worry about enrollment, unless you hear from me this afternoon after my conversation with Susan.

~

DE: We need to run a section of Beginning Reporting in the summer, correct?

JK: If we don't, we'll have 26, at least, in the fall, so that will be a problem.

JE: It will also affect progression toward degree.

DE: Spring 2018 schedule is due July 1. The college is trying to make scheduling automatic in the sense that we're offering predictable courses for our students so we can establish and meet expectations.

What we should try to do is look at the whole year -- fall, spring, summer -- and, by, say, June 1, put together a plan for the upcoming academic year.

TS: Wouldn't it make sense that we add two sections of ethics in the fall?

MA: The problem is making sure we have everything we need in place for spring.

CP: The only changes we can make would be based on student demand.

TS: We've developed a culture of students taking courses when they want.

MA: This is challenging in part because students are working.

TS: I understand. I'm a big believer in listening to your audience, but I think, if it affects pedagogy, it's a problem. The issue is that students get into classes, and they're not prepared to succeed.

BM: Can we arrange things so ethics and law are not taught in the same session in summer?

MA: Yes, we'll make sure of this.

BM: I'm concerned in the summer of the number of readings required. Students may be dropping out in the beginning as they get acclimated.

DE: We'll assume if you're teaching this summer, you want to teach next summer. Working from this, we will attempt to construct a student-centered schedule.

~

Undergraduate Curriculum Revision

MA: This is almost done. It was signed by all committees and the dean. It's with the registrar, and they are currently applying the changes. Research Methods and News Editing will become electives. Two new classes will become required. The only change I'm not sure about is Senior Seminar. Starting in fall 2018, we will have a 3-credit version of the course.

MA: I want to get as many people through News Editing and Research Methods as possible.

JE: What will happen is we'll end up with some students under old catalog years, but we can bring them into new years.

~

JE: We have been given the opportunity, finally, of telling the schedulers -- the people who do the programming in Banner -- what prereqs we want on classes.

~

Graduate Assistant Assignments

MW: I'll have Katie Jackson for 10 hours. Bahaa will have Brett L. Tony and Monica will be dividing Brad Shellagin 5 hours each.

DE: I'm still waiting on the big grant, which should provide some money for assistants, but I won't know until later this month.

As we went around some of these questions, it seems we have diverging ideas about how to make assignments and define workloads. Mark suggests we put it on our first fall meeting to firm up policies.

We could also have a couple faculty members talk about it and come forward with a proposal.

I just think we need some clear procedures on this.

MW: I'll put something on Basecamp as background, and then we can pick it up from there.

DE: Ok, does anyone want to work on this?

Bernardo and Mark volunteer.

~

MW: We're going live with the program in the fall of 2018. We need the dean's signature on the proposal by early fall 2017. In order for that to happen, we need enough in place to show that we can hit our upcoming deadlines. We need to show progress on the courses, the assessment. The latter needs to be completed quite early, August 30 2017 could be a point where the assessment needs to be live and accessible.

DE: So, we need everything ready to roll out August 30 so we have everything ready to roll out.

MW: We'll have the assessment, but we won't have all the pieces in place regarding other aspects of the admissions process.

DE: When will that be in place?

MW: We'll get the dean's sign off in September, we hope, but then it needs to go through the graduate council. People will start applying by the end of summer 2017.

CP: We'll see some start to apply in fall of 2017.

DE: I've talked with David Snyder, and he's ready to work on the law class so it's ready for fall 2018.

MW: We're also good to go on the department name change. We have unofficial confirmation. But, it's not as simple as it seems, because all our printed materials have the old department name.

BM: If I can make one suggestion, it's best to try to schedule a meeting with everyone all in one day.

JK: Can we have a sign out from that indicates the name of the new department.

TS: I spent a lot of time on this many years ago, and it went no where because of how the building was built and what its funding sources were.

MW: It's part of marketing, and if we can make that argument, I think it will carry more weight.

DE: Why not get a sign for the front door since we got something similar for WUSF.

~

Data Visualization Certificate

BH: They're going to offer one course, we will offer two, and we just need one more meeting with them to

~

Numbers, Book Orders, Etc.

CP: Good job on summer book orders! We're 100% compliance at the college level. June 30 is the deadline for fall.

~

NNB

BM: I just came from a meeting with the Lake Maggiore Shores Initiative. This is something the Psych department is involved with. I'm beginning to look into a grant with Knight to support a bigger version of this effort.

I was talking with Casey F. yesterday about creating something called the Community Journalism Innovative Lab to bring together students, faculty, community members and other local professionals.

There is also a connection to the Research Methods/Theory class. You can come in and talk to the students and get new ideas in front of them.

We're working on a 100 Years of Local Black History project, with many partners. Students are publishing in the Weekly Challenger, and we have the front page this week. Also working with Gibbs High School now, which brings the total of schools up to six.

~

Internships

TS: It was a good semester overall, with a variety of different placements. AARP. Journeys in Journalism. Creative Loafing. Meanwhile, Rob will have about 10 centered around the Sarasota Bradenton Herald. One of the things that happened spontaneously is that a number of students from Beginning Reporting decided to facilitate a trip to WFLA on their own. Mark Douglas contacted me to confirm all this, and they really made a great impression there. This is opening doors back to internship placements there.

I spend a lot of time talking to people only to say “no” because they’re not really offering an internship...it’s more free labor.

DE: The college also has an internship coordinator now, so that’s an additional resource to think about. How many have registered for summer?

CP: We’re awaiting signatures on three.

DE: ANd Rob’s independent study this semester seems to have worked out very well.

~

Graduate Programs

Eleven applications for DJD. Four have been admitted. Eight applications for JMS, three have been admitted. With two under consideration, that number could go to nine, and then there will be more as the deadline approaches.

DE: How many students in the two programs?

CP: About 35, but nine are graduating this semester. We’ll have a grad student open house sometime this summer in June.

~

DE: It’s important that we’re here and having meetings the week before classes. Let’s schedule the grad student orientation that week. And I’ll have my welcome back party around that time too -- the Sunday before classes begin.

~

Undergraduate Program

MA: I went to MMC 2100. They were quiet, but I gave them all the key information and materials.

On FUSE, I haven't heard anything, and I'm not sure it's going anywhere.

It's a good idea an initiative, but it needs to be approved on both sides.

We had a student doing a minor in journalism. I mistakenly said you needed MMC 2100 and JOU 2100 and some electives. Well, it turns out that they need 18 credits, MMC3602, VizCom and MMC2100.

I'm thinking we should revise this to replace VizCom with JOU2100. I'd also like to replace 3602 as a requirement for the minor but, because it's a gen ed, that's tricky.

DE: Does it make sense to introduce the food writing/photography minor?

~

Food Writing Certificate

JK: We've had four applicants since last time. One has been admitted, three are in the process. I should six in the fall taking food writing who are in the program.

DE: These four are not duplicates with our masters programs?

JK: No.

CP: Although one is a masters student in Tampa.

JK: We have many students doing food photography for Creative Loafing and TBT.

~

Student Organizations and Awards

Casey F., Bernardo and Bahaa will get together to discuss how to do an ONA event over summer or fall at the latest that's tied into courses dealing with data.

~

Faculty Council

JK: No big updates to report.

~

DE: As you know, we're in the middle of a search for a new dean. Frank will be with us until a new dean is hired if he doesn't go to SPC. I'm having a meeting in about two weeks, so let me know.

BM: Technology money?

DE: We're waiting to hear back. We should get word this week.

I'll talk to Frank about the signage.

We got \$75,000 for the NEP project, to fund Casey F. and Bahaa over the summer.

MW: Please continue to post items to Basecamp as we get closer and closer to accreditation.