

August 18 Journalism & Digital Communication Faculty Meeting

In Attendance:

- Deni Elliott
- Monica Ancu
- Casey Peterson
- Janet Keeler
- Chris Campbell
- Bahaa Gameel
- Rob Hooker
- Bernardo Motta
- Tony Silvia
- Casey Frechette

Meeting Minutes:

MA: Wednesday August 30 at noon there will be a reception for all incoming students. If you have time, please stop by. I'll be there with Deni. Casey P will probably be there. I will send reminders and let you know ahead of time.

~

DE: Some of you came to the forum on Monday with Frank LoMonte regarding the Crow's Nest and the place of a student paper on campus.

I had multiple meetings with Martin and Sophia regarding the Crow's Nest. Martin asked in May if the department would be interested in taking over. I said I didn't think so and that we don't teach collegiate journalism. I thought our department was going in other directions.

Does anyone want to argue in favor?

(No one does)

I think we should organize conversation once a semester for anyone who wants to come about having a

JK: I think it's a great idea, but we need to make sure we have buy-in from the administration.

DE: I don't think the issue is specific stories so much as the need for understanding of engaging with our student press. That's why I think opportunities for people to talk about this are important.

TS: Perhaps once a long time ago, the Crow's Nest was more a sandbox, but it hasn't been that way for a long time. They are doing very good work, and this is a learning opportunity. They're going to make

mistakes -- in our classes, in the paper. They need to feel like they can stretch to do things beyond covering a karaoke contest.

DE: There's a publication board. Janet sits on it. I have asked Dwayne for bylaws for more clarity.

DE: A recommendation: If someone complains, you might say we're working on an educational program for the community at large.

RH: We need more communication. If the administration has concerns, they need to take them to the editor in chief.

JK: And be available when students are working on stories.

~

MA: Our changes to the undergraduate curriculum have been approved. We're going to start with the new curriculum in the fall of 2018. The changes are as follows:

We're giving up the research methods course. It won't be mandatory. Will be replaced with a course called "Multimedia Reporting." It will be required, and all students will be required to take it.

They have to wait to take this until after MMC 2100.

Name is coincidental with the DJD Multimedia Reporting course.

The other change: Starting fall 2018, we're dropping News Editing as a required class. It can stay on as an elective. It will be replaced with Advanced Reporting. It could be theme reporting, etc. Editing should become part of Advanced Reporting. But it won't be an entire class on that. Feature stories may be another core element.

On the sheet I'm passing around, put your name in the middle column if

BG: Perhaps we can form an institute or certificate that has a STEM core.

DE: Let's table until next time, but we'll talk about the journalism minor and STEM. As we look at our curriculum now, let's see ways to show that we already are STEM, perhaps with some tweaks.

I wonder if it makes sense for the people teaching the nested courses for the development of new skills to make sure there is a good sequence from one course to the next.

MA: Not sure what is going to happen to FUSE. We had an updated after a long lull.

MA: We need to set up a meeting with administration to talk about how we can resolve conflicts when they arise. The discussion is: upper administration is sending a message that students cannot to substitutions -- courses in Tampa, Sarasota included. They cannot transfer them in to transfer for

journalism courses. I think it's for accreditation reasons. The problem is according to state law, we are required to allow appropriate substitutions.

JK: And this mandate also seems to apply to electives.

DE: Let's have a meeting with Cyndie Collins and Dean Toller.

~

DE: From the way Heba this morning described civic scholar classes, it seems to me that so many of our classes qualify. Let's make sure they are aware.

~

DE: The Dardenne Memorial Fund has been fully endowed. We can't give students money, but we can provide scholarships to mid-program students.

~

Hearst and other contests: Every time we enter Hearst, we get \$100.

BM: It's actually increased from that. Maybe up to \$150.

DE: Our students are doing good publications, and it would be good to have that acknowledged.

BM: I think we need to hire a student to do it. Someone who is tasked specifically with doing this.

DE: We could pay be the piece perhaps.

BM: The hardest part is getting students to fill out their part.

DE: How many can we submit?

BM: Two per category.

DE: Rob, perhaps you could keep track of stories that are worthwhile for consideration. Casey is keeping tabs on what gets professionally published.

CP: What's the time consuming part? Tracking down student addresses?

BM: It's more about reviewing eligibility requirements. And there are two components: We and the student both have a part to submit.

~

Regular reports

NNB

BM: NNB is involved in a bunch of projects. We're trying to build the history database project. We're working with a food justice component. And we're back to working with neighborhood associations, which makes it easier for students to learn about the area.

We have very few students this semester, in part because of offerings over the summer. So, we're looking for continuation.

DE: How did it work this summer with the advanced section?

BM: It worked well. But still doing it in a way that works intelligently and in alignment with accreditation is complicated.

MA: We could have an elective follow up to NNB -- NNB 2. It could happen at the same time?

BM: I think that would be easiest, and it will help with numbers.

DE: If you have summer, fall and spring senior year for students to take NNB and the elective, they can take it at the same time.

TS: Perhaps an independent study format work.

BM: Lastly, trying to get some equipment to get a camera, etc. Trying also to fund internships for students who can't take unfunded internships.

DE: What about cameras we bought recently?

BM: The trouble is having to share the camera between classes.

~

Internships

TS: I went through the files Rob has prepared, and I got the observations from people outside of here in a very thorough way. I would call it a total success. They got experience, publications and impressed the people they worked with and for.

It's also interesting to see that their personalities in the classroom translate to the workplace.

Another trend: Our students seem to be stronger on the whole in writing, technical skills, less so in some interpersonal skills, including self promotion. And that counts for a lot in our world. I'm trying to do some of that in Senior Seminar. Personal branding.

Five undergrads for the fall. That may change. Three grads.

RH: I was struck by how often newsrooms in Bradenton and Sarasota, assigning editors would send emails to interns rather than having a face-to-face conversation. Some students handled that better than others. Also sometimes, despite checking in, we don't get the full story from students until the end.

Food Writing & Photo

JK: We have two confirmed for the fall. Three are doing ARPs this fall. Great to see our students populating so much.

BM: They can work with faculty on their second project. Bahaa is already coming. Others are welcome to come. Mondays from 6 - 8:45 p.m. PRW 123. Seven students.

CF:

ONA:

1. Ramping back up; lots of students have graduated; we're looking for fresh blood -- i will circulate the group's meeting schedule
2. If you have projects in courses that could benefit from a digital team, there might be a way to move forward
3. SLO front: I will send everyone the two competencies and matching SLO categories. Please include it or if you want to use something different, let me know
4. PRW 107. Any way to get on the list, let's do it.

Faculty Council

JK: Because of accreditation I think, I'm always impressed that we're ahead of the curve in general. We got a copy of the diversity policy from Cecil Howard. Seems not all students are completely on board. Need to comment anonymously is important.

~

New Business

DE: Yesterday I had lunch with Jopi Helson. He owns Sailor's Wharf in the marianna area. Frank was also there and Deborah Reed and Julie from USF Tampa advancement.

Jopi is involved in races. They're on land for a while and then they keep going. He's looking for a media specialist on the boat, a 57 foot vessel.

He'd like to find a recent graduate. Blogging, live streaming, collecting video for documentaries, etc. Jopi is doing this to get money to the leukemia society.

DE: Details need to be worked out. Expenses will be covered. It's a one year commitment. Next step: Do we know anyone who might be interested?

~

DE: We're working on addressing building issues.

CC: I was told that there isn't a permanent solution without

DE: I suggested taking over PRW 188 N/S if we can't fix 107. We're working on possibilities.

JK: Can we get the window signs for the new department name? I was in a meeting Tuesday about collegiate sports. The funding would probably come from additional student fees. You need 6 to 8 sports to start. Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas.

I have a bunch of speakers coming into Beginning Reporter this semester. John Cutter is going to come in on Oct. 11 and talk about the evolution of the Pulse Nightclub story.

TS: Can we find out whether 110 and 123 are due for technology upgrades? Skype meetings last year.

BM: I'd like to request some kind of equipment for NNB. We need a new projector.

BM: University has a lot of money this year. Things we've been talking about comes back to funding. Not just equipment, but everything else.

DE: I will be in southeast Asia Sept. 10 through 21. Mark will be available to sign things.

