

# Fall 2018 Faculty Meetings - Sept. 28

## In Attendance

- Brandi Arnold (First Segment)
- Jamie Molnar (First Segment)
- Deni Elliott
- Casey Frechette
- Chris Campbell
- Tony Silvia
- Bahaa Gameel
- Rob Hooker
- Bernardo Motta
- Janet Keeler
- Casey Peterson
- Monica Ancu

## Minutes/Summary

BA: COMPASS is turning into a transitions rather than first-year office. There's a "Refer Student" to the left in Canvas. You can refer for academics, attendance, writing and wellness. A counselor reaches out to the student.

CF: Is it anonymous? Is there a recommended best practice for telling students (as faculty) that it's happening.

BA: It's not anonymous, and we do recommend letting students know that you've put a referral in, and why.

BM: How much do students know about the process?

BA: They aren't briefed much about the process. Letting them know it's about helping them and ensuring their success is important.

XX: If there's any concern about student wellbeing, it comes to SOCAT. We accept referrals 24/7, and we have a confidential database. We review daily and determine the level of outreach that's appropriate. We're all mental health practitioners.

You'll have an update in two weeks about whether we connected, and what the outcome was. Think of it as "air traffic control." Get it to us, and we'll make sure it goes to the right office.

BM: What about online students?

JM: All fall under our purview. We can do Skype appointments, as one example, for remote students.

MA: I just got a notification from a student saying she's dealing with a domestic violence. What should I do?

JM: We'd recommend referring her to SOCAT, via the "wellness and distress" option in the Referral tab in Canvas.

DE: What about students who aren't in our classes?

JM: I would always say air on the side of caution, and if the student isn't in the class, it can be done through the dean of student portion of the website.

TS: Are we as faculty indemnified if a student doesn't like the process?

JM: There are no legal ramifications if you report, in light of FERPA. But there could be legal consequences for not referring under some circumstances.

BA: There's also a peer mentoring component to the process that can be helpful.

BM: Is the Canvas process protected? Or public, like email?

BA: We'll need to get back on that, regarding Archivum. But wellness goes to SOCAT, which is protected.

### **~ Consolidation ~**

DE: Not much new to report. Faculty Affairs came up with recommendations for T&P. Last I heard, they'd be circulated to faculty. The recommendations are currently under review in the provost office, however.

With regard to research funding, as I understand it, there will be a competitive research fund in the College. If faculty can provide a list of needs to a committee of peers, we might be able to get more funding that way.

MA: So, the draft report came out. And not sure where it leaves us. It seems to imply that mass communication is being hosted in Tampa.

DE: We're a long way from being settled on that. Dean Michael is working to have a college/school of some sort here that will work for us.

MA: Maybe it's just me, but I feel Dean Michael isn't aware of exactly what we're doing.

DE: This has been communicated, and we've put together a kind of JDC primer to highlight our uniqueness. If people in the department want to work on a proposal, I'd be happy to take that forward.

TS: Isn't part of this that the College itself would be hosted in Tampa?

DE: At the Dean level, they understand that the College of Arts and Sciences may be too big, so breaking that up, and then figuring out where those pieces get divided, and where they end up.

MA: I'm unclear about hosting vs. homed.

DE: There are models where some parts are accredited, and some parts aren't.

DE: We could work on a document about why we should "home" journalism and DJD, we can do that.

CF: I can start a draft of a departmental statement.

MA: I can help.

CC: At the last meeting, Martin said the process could take 5-10 years. Is that accurate?

DE: Yes. and the one part that will begin in fall 2020 is that there must be coordination in course offerings.

BM: Also, we're becoming a research initiative in 2020. If we're evaluated that way, what we're doing now isn't going to count as much, it seems. It seems there are discrepancies in how things are done there and here that we need to be mindful of.

TS: Consulting report could be accepted in pieces, not in whole?

DE: Correct. And the product comes out of the Provost's Office in Tampa.

BG: Would we have less resources if we home the program here rather than have it homed in Tampa?

DE: We could get access to a different line of money than the Zimmerman School, but hard to say exactly how that would pan out.

**~ T&P ~**

MA: Deni asked me, Bernardo and Bahaa to look into our T&P guidelines here vs. in Tampa. They're very different. There's are research focused, and quantified.

To go from assistant to associate, someone would need 10-12 publications, about two a year. All referred, in top journals.

BM: They have some equivalences, but the journal articles are the baseline. And when they talk about research, it's social scientific research.

MA: I talked with Wayne to get a few more details. He said the criteria is all about research. Assistant professors are hired on a 2/2 load, but often end up teaching less. Steps are taken to give the assistant professors as much time as possible to focus on research. The school doesn't have much funding for research, but the college does. They have dedicated staff to help assistant professors connect with and navigate research opportunities. For associate professors going up to full, the situation is difficult.

DE: A paragraph about the need for resources should be part of a document about "homing." If we want separateness here, we need to be able to stipulate access to same resources as those in Tampa.

MA: Wayne also said there's no reason to wait to collaborate. He might organize a brown bag meeting.

BM: I think we need to start doing this kind of collaboration. But if we managed to get into one of their grants, would we be able to get course buyouts.

DE: You can buyout a class however you get the money. Check with John Johnson for the details on what the total would be.

MA: Will Bahaa and Bernardo be evaluated on old or new standards?

DE: This hasn't been firmed up yet.

MA: Another difference: Our service requirements are a lot greater than Tampa's; perhaps we should decide as a department that we lower service time for tenure-track faculty.

DE: We can't change the formal documents.

MA: Perhaps something that can be handled at the departmental level, though.

BM: I'd propose that we aim for the Zimmerman School's standards, not knowing exactly where things will land.

DE: I think it's a solid plan to reduce service commitments to get into closer alignment.

BM: I think going forward, I want to treat NNB more as a course and less as a community outreach. The trouble is that projects coming out lend themselves to historic and journalistic research, not social scientific research. So I'm worried that these efforts won't count.

DE: I'm not sure that's the right interpretation.

### **~ Undergraduate Programs ~**

MA: As a way to better communicate with students, we're going to open a Canvas section/group about adding all undergrads and push announcements to them. We can use it as a tool for alumni also. I will try to come to some classes in the coming weeks to talk about registration because it opens at the end of October.

### **~ NNB ~**

BM: Event Wednesday 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. about local Black History website and mapping tool.

### **~ Internships ~**

TS: We've dropped from 15 to 14. Someone at the Bucs. A couple social media startups. We get almost daily requests for interns. But some are questionable. It's a mining process as well as a supervision process. Some students need mentoring and shepherding in a professional setting, and it's quite varied. How to ask for feedback, how to handle difficult conversations, etc. This group is very supportive of each other.

### **~ Food Writing and Photo ~**

JK: A student, Karen Crosby, won a nice award for work she did via the Tampa Bay Times. Also, there's a certificate on food studies in Tampa. So we're reaching out to let them know our offerings because they don't have any communicate options.

### **~ Student Research Initiatives ~**

BG: Two student proposals have been accepted for The Gulf Joint Institute, and they will have poster sessions on Oct. 8.

### **~ ONA ~**

CF: Students have been presenting on their work and it could be a good venue for non-research type of presentations.

TS: Monica Herndon from the TBT does photo and video and could be a great speaker.

### **~ Faculty Council ~**

MA: We're dealing with various issues around consolidation.

**~ Housekeeping ~**

CP: Please send updated CVs to Bridget, and copy me.

Regarding book orders, please get your order in place in your own files. We're not quite ready to accept the orders yet, but when the moment comes, we should be ready to submit our orders.