The Graduate Certificate in Florida Studies is designed for anyone with an interest in Florida’s history, culture or environments. This certificate program consists of a minimum of three courses: one required and two electives. The required course Florida and Regional Studies, which provides important context for regional studies, with an emphasis on Florida. Students may take any two elective courses listed below.
Should a non-degree seeking student decide to pursue a Master of Liberal Arts degree with concentration in Florida Studies after completing Florida Studies Certificate coursework, up to 12 credit hours may be applied to graduate work.
Note: Participation in the certificate program does not guarantee admission into a graduate degree program.
Must meet University requirements for Graduate Admissions as well as requirements listed below.
Program Admission Requirements
- A bachelor’s level degree with a cumulative 3.0 GPA in their overall program or in
the last 60 hours of study attempted while completing a bachelor’s degree.
Candidates who have less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA will be considered for the certificate on a case by case basis.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better on all work while working toward completion of a baccalaureate degree or a 3.0 on all course work completed while as an upper-division student (upper 60 hours) toward completion of a baccalaureate degree.
Certificate Program Requirements (9 credit hours)
Required Course (3 credit hours)
- HUM 6814 Introduction to Graduate Study 3
Elective Course Options (select any 2 courses for 6 credit hours)
- HIS 6939 Seminar in History: Early Florida History 3
- HIS 6939 Seminar in History: Modern Florida History 3
- LIT 6934 Special Topics: Florida and the Global South 3
- AML 6017 Studies in American Lit to 1860 3
- GEA 6195 Seminar in Advanced Regional Geography 3
- GEO 6605 Contemporary Urban Issues 3
- EVR 6072 Florida Springs 3
- HIS 5114: Spanish Paleography I 3
- HIS 5116: Spanish Paleography II 3
Graduate Recruiter Contact Info:
Marketa L. Teal, M.A.
Office of Graduate Studies
Office Phone: (727) 873-4770
Main Line: (727) 873-4567
Graduate Program Coordinator Contact Info:
Christopher Meindl, PhD
College of Arts & Sciences
Phone: (727) 873-4961