St. Petersburg Campus Student Travel Award
Purpose of the Student Award
The USF College of Arts & Sciences in St. Petersburg prides itself in providing both graduate and undergraduate students an opportunity to work closely with faculty and other students on exciting research programs in their discipline. To support this research, the College has developed the Student Travel Fund. The purpose of the fund is to support student travel to academic and professional conferences to showcase research conducted by St. Petersburg students in the College of Arts & Sciences.
CriteriA for the Student Travel Award
Student Travel Awards generally range from $300.00 to $500.00, depending on the nature of the travel involved. The College will consider higher awards for international travel or high-profile events. All requests must be made no later than 4 weeks prior to the date of travel. Earlier applications are encouraged. All applications are reviewed by the Student Travel Committee, consisting of faculty and staff across various disciplines. The committee meets regularly during the fall and spring semesters. The following criteria are reviewed by the committee as they consider awards:
- The student must be enrolled in a degree program (either graduate or undergraduate)
housed within the College of Arts & Sciences on the University of South Florida St.
Petersburg campus. Students should be enrolled at the time of the application and
during the time of travel.
- Students must submit a Student Travel Request Form (attached) clearly demonstrating
the benefit of this travel and research to the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Students must provide evidence of principal involvement in the conference or other
event they seek to attend: e.g. program listing the student as a presenter, confirmation
from the organization of the student’s active role. This information must be attached
to the application for the Student Travel Award.
- All conference documentation must clearly state the student’s affiliation with the
University of South Florida, and USF St. Petersburg must be listed as the student’s
primary academic institution.
- All applications are subject to review by the Student Travel Committee, which meets
regularly during the fall and spring semesters. Decisions by the committee are final
and not eligible for appeal.
Funding is awarded based on the Student Travel Committee’s appraisal of merit. Factors included in the Committee’s decision for funding include the following:
- Perceived prestige of the event
- Perceived benefit in highlighting student research opportunities at the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg campus.
- Overall cost of student attendance
- Level of participation on the part of the student: i.e. first author vs. contributing author; talk vs. poster.
- Remaining funds in the Student Travel Account at the time of review.
- Students must disclose any additional funding they have received from other sources (whether from an outside source or the University) and must update the Student Travel Committee of additional funding received from another source after the Student Travel Committee’s decision