Alan Balfour is an associate professor with the Information Systems and Decision Sciences Department. He teaches graduate-level courses in leadership, social and ethical legal systems and managing international cultural differences. Balfour also teaches an Honors College Program course in business ethics. He is the recipient of several teaching awards. His areas of expertise include leadership and employment relations. His work on labor law, unions and collective bargaining is often cited in textbooks.
Prior to joining USF in 1980, Balfour taught and held administrative positions at the University of Oklahoma, directed a research program for the state of Michigan and worked in labor relations for Proctor & Gamble Co.
He earned a PhD and master's degree from Michigan State University, a Juris Doctorate from the University of Michigan Law School and a bachelor's degree in liberal arts from Albion College.
- MAN 6107 - Leading Sustainable Enterprises
- Kelso, R. & Balfour, A., (2013), "Inadequate Customer Protections in Disputes with
of Professional Services: An Assessment of the Lawyer Discipline System in Florida," Ethics
and Critical Thinking Journal.
- Balfour, A., Fuller, S., (2013), "Third Eye Blind: What American Workers Can See that Business Professors Cannot," International Journal of Management and Business Studies, Vol. 3, Issue 1.
- Karlins, M. & Hargis, E. & Balfour, A., (2012), "Student Ethics in an Era of Personal Entitlement," Psychological Reports, Feb. 110(1), pp. 144-148.
- Karlins, M. & Hargis, E. & Balfour, A., (2012), "Danger: Competent Workers!," Advances in Management Journal, Vol. 5 (3), March.
- Balfour, A. & Fuller, S., (2010), "Why Business Leaders Are Profit Motivated Rather Than Socially Motivated: The Role of Business Education," Journal of Global Business Management, 6(2), 191-197.
- Member, Academy of Management, Society for Business Ethics, International Industrial Relations Asociation, among others
- Member, Faculty Committee for Admission of Student Athletes
- Member, University Honors Committee
- Coordinator, Faculty/Staff Scholarship Campaign