Dipayan Biswas, a professor in the Marketing Department, teaches an undergraduate-level course in basic marketing, graduate-level courses in brand management, and a PhD-level course in sensory and experiential aspects of marketing.
His key research interests include sensory marketing (with focus on retail atmospherics, healthful consumption related to foods/beverages, and sensory aspects of brands), behavioral judgment & decision-making, and digital marketing. Several of his research projects focus on consumption related to food, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and scents.
His research has been published/forthcoming in the Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, among others. Biswas is currently area editor of Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and also associate editor of Journal of Retailing and of Journal of Business Research. He has been editor of Journal of Consumer Marketing (2014-2016) and has been associate editor of European Journal of Marketing (2010-2014). He currently also serves on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Marketing.
He has been the principal investigator for a grant funded by the USDA (for $22,049) and a co-investigator for a grant funded jointly by the EPA and the NSF (for $181,851). In addition, for his research, he has received awards/grants from the Association for Consumer Research, American Marketing Association, Academy of Marketing Science, and Society for Marketing Advances.
His interviews and research have been featured extensively in the media, by over 100 media outlets, including the New York Times, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, NPR, BBC, US News & World Report, Daily Mail (UK), Scientific American magazine, Men's Health and Women's Health magazines, and the Tampa Bay Times, to name just a few. Biswas has collaborated on research with several companies in the US, Germany, Sweden, France, and India. He has also been invited to present his research at seminars at Cornell University, Yale University, New York University, Reims Management School (France), Bayreuth University (Germany), WU (Austria), Linnaeus University (Sweden), and Tampere University of Technology (Finland), among others.
Biswas earned a PhD degree in marketing from the University of California, Irvine, and an MBA degree from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing
- MAR 3613 - Market Research
- MAR 6936 - Brand Management
- MAR 7931 - Sensory and Experiential Aspects of Marketing
- Biswas, Dipayan and Courtney Szocs (2019), “The Smell of Healthy Choices: Cross-Modal Sensory Compensation Effects of Ambient Scent on Food Purchases,” Journal of Marketing Research, 56 (1), 123-141.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, and Annika Abell (2019), “Extending the Boundaries of Sensory Marketing and Examining the Sixth Sensory System: Effects of Vestibular Sensations for Sitting versus Standing Postures on Food Taste Perception,” Journal of Consumer Research, forthcoming.