Erwin Danneels is a professor in the management department, teaching strategic business analysis.
His research focuses on the growth and renewal of corporations in the face of changing technological environments and recently won a three-year $212,000 National Science Foundation grant to conduct a large-scale study of product innovation and growth in public firms in the United States. He has published in top academic journals such as the Journal of Product Innovation Management, Organization Science, the Strategic Management Journal and the Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal. Most notably, he is the author of six solo-authored articles in the Strategic Management Journal. Danneels joined the management department from the University of Central Florida.
He earned a PhD in business administration from Penn State University, an MBA from the University of Ghent in Belgium and a master's degree from the University of California, Davis.
- MAN 6726 - Strategic Business Analysis
- Danneels, Erwin and Alex Vestal, forthcoming, “Learning from Failure and Firm Innovativeness,” Journal of Business Venturing.
- Alex Vestal and Erwin Danneels, (2018), “Knowledge Exchange in Clusters: The Effect of Regional Inventive Concentration,” Research Policy, 47(10): 1887-1903.
- Lee Braver and Erwin Danneels, (2018), “Propensities Return Us to the Discovery-creation Debate About Entrepreneurial Opportunities,” Academy of Management Review, 43(4), 812-815.
- Danneels, Erwin and Federico Frattini, (2018), “Discovering Hidden Treasure: How to Find Applications for your Technologies Outside your Core Business,” MIT Sloan Management Review, 59(3): 73-78.
- Danneels, Erwin, Gianmario Verona and Bernardino Provera, (2017), “The Social Embeddedness of Organizational Competence: Olivetti’s Transition from Mechanical to Electronic Technology,” Industrial and Corporate Change, 27(3): 595–618.
- Faculty facilitator, doctoral dissertation workshop at Bocconi University, 2017
- Editorial board member, Strategic Management Journal, 2009-present
- Editorial board member, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 2002-present
- Member, USF Council on Technology for Instruction and Research, 2016-present
- Management Department representative, Muma College of Business at USF Strategic Planning Committee, 2013-present
- Elected Management (and later Marketing) Department representative, Faculty Executive
Committee of the Muma College of Business, 2013-present