Doug Hughes is the chair of the Marketing Department. He began his full-time duties in 2019, coming from the Michigan State University's Broad College of Business. There, he was a faculty member for 11 years, serving as chair of the Marketing Department for the last three years.
Hughes taught undergraduate, master's and doctoral-level courses as well as executive-education seminars in both marketing and sales management and has received several national and university teaching awards, including the AMA McGraw-Hill/Irwin Sales Teacher of the Year Award, the Provost's Teaching Excellence Award and the Sales Excellence Institute Teacher of the Year Award.
He has published research in a number of highly regarded journals, including the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of Marketing Research, the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, the Journal of Retailing, and the International Journal of Research in Marketing. His research interests center on managerial issues in marketing with an emphasis on salesperson motivation, sales-force management, brand relationships and the marketing-sales and sales-service interfaces.
Hughes earned a PhD from the University of Houston, an MBA from Michigan State University and a bachelor's degree in marketing from the University of Tennessee.
- Hughes, Douglas E., Keith Richards, Roger Calantone, Brian Baldus, and Rich Spreng (2019), “Driving In-Role and Extra-Role Brand Performance Among Retail Frontline Salespeople: Antecedents and the Moderating Role of Customer Orientation,” Journal of Retailing, 95 (2), 130-143.
- Schrock, Wyatt, Yanhui Zhou, Keith Richards, and Douglas E. Hughes (2018), “On the Nature of International Sales and Sales Management Research: A Social Network Analytic Perspective,” Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 38 (1), 56-77.
- Rapp, Adam, Dan Bachrach, Karen Flaherty, Douglas E. Hughes, Arun Sharma, and Clay Voorhees (2017), “The Role of the Sales-Service Interface and Ambidexterity in the Evolving Organization: A Multi-level Research Agenda,” Journal of Service Research, 20 (1), 59-75.
- Schrock, Wyatt, Douglas E. Hughes, Frank Fu, Keith Richards, and Eli Jones (2016), "Better Together: Trait Competitiveness and Competitive Psychological Climate as Antecedents of Salesperson Organizational Commitment and Sales Performance," Marketing Letters, 27 (2), 351-60.
- Bolander, Willy, Cinthia Satornino, Douglas E. Hughes, and Gerald R. Ferris (2015), “Social Networks within Sales Organizations: Their Development and Importance for Salesperson Performance,” Journal of Marketing, 79 (6), 1-16 (lead article). Note: All authors contributed equally. Winner of 2016 AMA Excellence in Sales Research and Ronald Copeland Best Paper Awards.
- Editor-in-chief, Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 2016-present
- Area Editor/ERB member, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2010-16
- Co-builder and faculty leader, MSU Sales Leadership Program with undergraduate education, research and executive education components, 2009-19
- Founder, CXM@MSU (ongoing customer experience management outreach initiative), 2018-19
- Conference co-chair, American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference, 2015
- Faculty Coach, National Collegiate Sales Competition and National Team Selling Competition, 2008-2018.