Gary Laursen is an associate professor of accounting and law in the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy, teaching graduate-level courses in tax research and estate planning and undergraduate courses in individual income taxation, corporate taxation and business law for accountants. Considered an expert on the exam and requirements to become a CPA, Laursen also teaches in the CPA Review Program in the area of regulation (a combination of taxation and business law). He has received several teaching awards recognizing excellence in the classroom.
Laursen consults with clients in the area of estate planning and income tax planning. He periodically publishes articles in Florida CPA Today, a professional magazine for Florida CPAs.
A licensed CPA, Laursen is also admitted to the Florida Bar Association and specializes in estate and income tax planning. His academic credentials include degrees from the University of Miami School of Law (JD and Master of Laws in Taxation) and a bachelor's degree in accounting from Florida State University.
- TAX 4001 - Tax & Business Entities
- TAX 6134 - Advanced Corporate Taxation
- FIN 4123 - Estate Planning
- Dunham, P. and G. Laursen, (2018), “Why Can’t a Partner be an Employee?” The CPA Today, 34(7): 8-11.
- Laursen, G., “Asset Protection Issues for Florida CPAs,” The Florida CPA Today, November/December Edition, 2015
- Laursen, G. and C. Vance. (2013), "Entity Selection in Florida," The Florida CPA Today.
- Laursen, G. and C. Vance, (2013), "LLCs Alive and Well in Florida but ... Owners Beware," The Florida CPA Today.
- Faculty advisor, USF Delta Gamma chapter of the Beta Alpha Psi International Honorary Accounting Organization in the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy
- Member, Florida Institute of CPAs; Florida Bar Association; Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council; Florida Board of Accountancy Continuing Professional Education Committee (the only full-time university faculty member serving on the committee); Florida Institute of CPAs Committee on Federal Taxation; and USF Accounting Conference Committee
- Past president, Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council and Pinellas County Estate Planning Council
- Member and/or, participant, numerous departmental, business school committees and university committees