Uday S. Murthy is the Quinn Eminent Scholar in the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy who had, for eight years until 2019, served as the school's director. He has received several research awards, including the Muma College of Business Outstanding Research Achievement Award in 2004 and 2010 and the Grant Thornton USF Faculty Research Award for 2005 and 2006. Murthy teaches graduate courses in accounting information systems and PhD seminars in research methods and accounting information systems.
Murthy studies data modeling and design methodologies for accounting systems, auditing computer-based systems, expert systems and group support systems in accounting. His research has been published or accepted for publication in scholarly journals such as The Accounting Review, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, the Journal of Management Information Systems, the Journal of Information Systems, the International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, Decision Support Systems, Information & Management, and the International Journal of Auditing.
He earned a PhD from Indiana University and MBA from Drexel University. Qualified as a Chartered Accountant in India, he worked at Price Waterhouse in Mumbai, India. He has served as coeditor of the Journal of Information Systems, the leading academic journal for accounting information systems research.
- ACG 6841C - Innovation & Analytics in Accounting
- Hamilton, E., R. Hirsch, U. Murthy, and J. Rasso, (2019), “The Effects of a Public Indicator of Accounting Aggressiveness on Managers’ Financial Reporting Decisions,” Managerial Auditing Journal 34(8): 986-1007.
- Murthy, U.S. and Wheeler, P.R., (2018), “The Effects of Decision-Aid Design on Auditor Performance in Internal Control Evaluation Tasks,” Journal of Information Systems 32(2): 95-113.
- Tadesse, A.F. and Murthy, U.S., (2018), "Non-professional Investor Perceptions of the Disclosure and Partial Remediation of IT and non-IT Control Weaknesses: An Experimental Investigation," International Journal of Accounting Information Systems 28 (1): 14-30, (Presented at the International Symposium on Accounting Information Systems, Valencia, Spain, May 8-9, 2017).
- Murthy, U.S. and G.L. Geerts, (2017), "An REA Ontology Based Model for Representing Big Data, Analytics, and Information Integrity Issues," Journal of Information Systems 31(3): 45-61.
- Murthy, U.S., (2016), "Researching at the Intersection of Accounting and Information Technology: A Call to Action." Journal of Information Systems, 30(2): 159-167.
- Member, Muma College of Business Associate Dean Search Committee, 2012-13
- Member, Muma College of Business Dean Search Committee, 2011-12
- President, Information Systems Section, American Accounting Association, 2011-12
- Member, Muma College of Business Research & Scholarship Committee, 2003-2011
- Editorial board member, International Journal of Accounting Information Systems
- Editorial board member, Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting