William A. Sutton
William Sutton joined the USF Muma College of Business as a professor and director of the Vinik Sport & Entertainment Management Program. A distinguished academician and a proven sports marketing practitioner, Sutton teaches courses in Sport Marketing and Sales and Fundraising in Sports.
Sutton held previous academic appointments at Robert Morris University, the Ohio State University, the University of Massachusetts – Amherst, and the University of Central Florida. He served as VP team marketing and business operations for the NBA and is the principal and founder of Bill Sutton & Associates, a consulting firm specializing in strategic marketing and revenue enhancement. Previous consulting clients include the AEG, NBA, NFL, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns, MSG Sports, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the New York Mets.
Sutton holds three degrees (BA 1972, MS, 1980, and EdD 1983) from Oklahoma State University, where he was inducted into the College of Education Hall of Fame in 2003. He has authored more than 200 publications in journals such as Sport Marketing Quarterly, Journal of Sport Management, and the International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship. He is also a co-author of two texts: Sport Marketing and Sport Promotion and Sales Management and is co-editor of the Handbook of Sport Marketing Research.
Sutton is also an inaugural member of the Robert Morris University Sport Management Hall of Fame (2006) and recipient of lifetime achievement awards from the Southern Sport Management Association and the SEVT Conference presented by the University of South Carolina (2012). He serves on the board of directors for the Folds of Honor Foundation and the Tampa Bay Sports. Sutton is also a past president of both the North American Society for Sport Management and the Sport Marketing Association.
- Sutton,W.A. "Sutton Impact" Editorial. Sports Business Journal
- Hyatt, C., Foster, W., McConnell, D. and Sutton, W.A. (2012). Fan Involvement in a professional sport team's decision making. Sport Business Management: An international Journal. (in press)
- Sutton,W.A. (2011). Looking forward: A Vision for sport marketing inquiry and scholarship. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 20: (4), 242-248.
- Irwin, R.L. and Sutton, W.A. (2011). Ticket Sales Coaching Innovation: A few pages from Paul Brown's Playbook. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 20 (2), 103-111.
- Tampa Bay Sports Commission Board Member (2013- )
- Folds of Honor Foundation Board Member (2009 - )
- Orlando Magic Youth Foundation (OMYF) (2005-)
- President – Sport Marketing Association (2008-09, 2009-10)
- University of Central Florida Athletic Advisory Board (2005-2007)