Sajeev Varki is an associate professor in the Muma College of Business Marketing Department who teaches courses in global marketing, marketing management, promotions management, marketing strategy and marketing research. He has taught at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
His expertise in marketing, advertising and strategy reflects his work experience as a business economist in Tata Economic Consultancy Services in Mumbai, India, and as an advertising agency account manager in Delhi, India. His research has been published in the Journal of Marketing Research, Psychometrika, the Journal of Retailing, the Journal of Advertising, Marketing Letters, the Journal of Service Research, the Journal of Business Research, and the European Journal of Marketing, among others. His co-authored work on "modeling fuzzy data" in the Journal of Marketing Research won the 2000 Don Lehmann Award for the best dissertation paper and was also a finalist for the Paul Green Award for best paper. Work he co-authored in 1996 on 'customer delight' was a runner up for the Davidson Award at the Journal of Retailing. A paper that he co-authored in 2000 on 'using service quality for competitive decisions' in the International Journal of Service Research was a Literati Club Award winner.
Varki earned a PhD in management from Vanderbilt University, an MBA from the Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, and a bachelor's degree in engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
- MAR 6816 - Marketing Strategy
- MAR 6636 – Marketing Research
Saine, Ruby, Alexander Kull, Ali Besharat, and Sajeev Varki (2019), “I See Me: The Role of Observer Imagery in Reducing Consumer Transgressions,” Journal of Business Ethics (forthcoming)
Sharma, Nazuk and Sajeev Varki (2018), “Active White Space (AWS) in Logo Designs: Effects on Logo Evaluations and Brand Communication,” Journal of Advertising, 47, 270-281.
- Langan, Ryan, Ali Besharat and Sajeev Varki, (2016), "The Effect of Review Valence and Variance on Product Evaluations: An Examination of Intrinsic and Extrinsic Cues," International Journal of Research in Marketing.
- Ali, Besharat, Sajeev Varki and Adam Craig, (2015), "Keeping Consumers in the Red: Hedonic Debt Prioritization within Multiple Debt Accounts," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 25 (2), 311-316.
- Ali, Besharat and Sajeev Varki, (2014), “Examining How Self-Regulation Determines Choice Processing Strategies and Motivations Underlying Attraction Effect,” Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 22 (4), 421-436.
- Member, editorial board, Journal of Service Research
- Former member, editorial board, Journal of Marketing
- Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Retailing and the Sloan Management Review
- Member, Muma College of Business Research Committee and Faculty Executive Committee