Sajeev Varki teaches courses in global marketing, marketing management, and promotions management, marketing strategy, and marketing research; he has taught at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels.
His expertise in marketing, advertising, and strategy reflects his work experience as a business economist in Tata Economic Consultancy Services, Mumbai, India and as an ad agency account manager in Delhi, India. His work has been published in, among others, the Journal of Marketing Research, Psychometrika, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Advertising, Marketing Letters, Journal of Service Research, Journal of Business Research, and European Journal of Marketing. His co-authored work on "modeling fuzzy data" in Journal of Marketing Research won the 2000 Don Lehmann Award for the best dissertation paper and was also a finalist for the Paul Green Award for best paper. Work he co-authored in 1996 on 'customer delight' was a runner up for the Davidson Award at the Journal of Retailing. A paper that he co-authored in 2000 on 'using service quality for competitive decisions' in the International Journal of Service Research was a Literati Club Award winner at the journal.
Varki holds a degree in engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, an MBA from the Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, and a PhD in Management from Vanderbilt University.
- MAR 6816 - Marketing Strategy
- MAR 6636 – Marketing Research
- Langan, Ryan, Ali Besharat, and Sajeev Varki (2016), ""The Effect of Review Valence and Variance on Product Evaluations: An Examination of Intrinsic and Extrinsic Cues," International Journal of Research in Marketing, (forthcoming)
- Ali, Besharat, Sajeev Varki, and Adam Craig (2015), "Keeping Consumers in the Red: Hedonic Debt Prioritization within Multiple Debt Accounts," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 25 (2), 311-316.
- Varki, Sajeev and Pradeep K. Chintagunta (2004), "The Augmented Latent Class Model: Incorporating Additional Heterogeneity in the Latent Class Model for Panel Data," Journal of Marketing Research, May, 41 (2), 226-237.
- Cooil, Bruce and Sajeev Varki (2003), "Using the Conditional Grade of Membership Model to Assess Judgment Accuracy," Psychometrika, 68 (3), September, pp. 453-471.
- Varki, Sajeev, Bruce Cooil, and Roland T. Rust (2000), "Modeling Fuzzy Data in Qualitative Marketing Research," Journal of Marketing Research, November, Vol. 37, pp. 480-489.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Service Research
- Former Editorial Board Member, Journal of Marketing
- Ad hoc Reviewer, Journal of Retailing and Sloan Management Review
- Member, Muma College of Business Research Committee and Faculty Executive Committee