Janelle E. Wells is a assistant professor in the USF Vinik Sport & Entertainment Management Program. She teaches Global Environment of Sport, Sport and Social Issues, and Social Media in Sport.
Wells' research interests include organizational behavior and human resource issues. To date, she has published articles addressing leadership behaviors, gender inclusion, social change, sport-for-development, employee commitment and identity in a number of journals including the Leadership & Organizational Development Journal, Team Performance Management, and the Journal of Intercollegiate Sport.
Wells' athletic career began as a college volleyball student-athlete and progressed into the coaching ranks. After finishing her volleyball career at Georgia State University, she received a bachelor's degree in management in 2003 and joined the private business sector. While working full-time and serving as an assistant coach for the Florida Institute of Technology volleyball team, she earned an MBA in 2005 from FIT. She went on to coach volleyball at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, while teaching as an adjunct at Butler University and continuing to work in the private sector. In 2012, Wells graduated from the University of Florida with a PhD in Health and Human Performance.
Wells is a member of several professional societies, including the North American Society for Sport Management, Academy of Management, Management Faculty of Color Association, and American Volleyball Coaches Association. In addition, she has served as a reviewer for numerous journal outlets and has presented at various international conferences.
- SPB 6735 Global Environment of Sport
- SPB 6605 Sport & Social Issues
- SPB 6807 Social Media in Sport
- Welty Peachey, J., Burton, L. & Wells, J. E., (2018), "Exploring Servant Leadership
Satisfaction in the Sport for Development and Peace Context," Journal of Sport Management, 32, 96-108.
- Wells, J. E., & Kerwin, S., (2017), "Intentions to be an Athletic Director: Racial
Perspectives," Journal of Career Development, 44 (2), 127-143.
- Burton, L., Welty Peachey, J., & Wells, J. E., (2017), "The Role of Servant Leadership
Developing an Ethical Climate in Sport Organizations," Journal of Sport Management, 31(3), 229-240.
- Hancock, M., Grappendorf, H., Wells, J. E., & Burton, L. J., (2017), "Career Breakthroughs
Women in Intercollegiate Athletic Administration: What is the Role of Mentoring?" Journal of
Intercollegiate Sport, 10(2) 184-206.
- Taylor, E., & Wells, J. E., (2017), "Institutionalized Barriers and Supports of Female
Directors: A Multilevel Perspective," Journal of Intercollegiate Sport, 10(2), 157-183.
- Chair, New Tampa YMCA Board
- Member, Women's Sport Museum Board of Directors, 2019-present
- Co-chair, Women in Sports & Events Membership Committee, 2018-present
- Founding board member, WISE 2018-present
- Member, Tampa Metropolitan YMCA Oversight Committee, 2014-present