On-Campus Partners

Getting Started

The student employment process at the University of South Florida is a collaborative process among Students; University Scholarships and Financial Aid Services (USFAS); Vice President and Dean areas; Hiring departments; Career Services; Human Resources; and Payroll.

On-Campus Student Employment Funding Types

There are three types of student employment funding on campus.

OPS / Temporary Student Employment

Departments have the option of funding their own student employment positions. These student employees are considered temporary employees.

Federal Work Study

This is a need-based financial aid-funded part-time (maximum 20 hrs/week) student employment option.

Summer Work Study

This is also a need-based financial aid-funded part-time student employment option. Students in this role are also only permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Posting Your Positions

On-campus departments are encouraged to post their positions in Handshake, USF's online career management system.

Departments may also choose to post their positions in GEMS, the platform used by Human Resources for other on-campus positions, such as full-time and temporary positions.

Using Handshake

Handshake offers a number of benefits for departments who choose to post their positions here. First, Handshake keeps a record of old postings, making it very simple for you to duplicate an old posting, make any needed updates, and repost it. 

On the student side, Handshake allows them to save searches for FWS or other on-campus positions, making it very easy to use. They can also mark employers as a "Favorite" and get alerts when they post a new job or register for an event.

To get started with Handshake, click here.

Using GEMS

If you want to post your positions through GEMS, you will need to work directly with your Human Resources service center representative. If you do not know which service center your department belongs to, or need to find the representative contact for your service center, you can find that information here.