Cooperative Education (Co-op)
Co-op is an experiential opportunity and USF course administered by the Office of Internships and Career Readiness. Co-op integrates hands-on, paid, career-related work experience with your academic program and provides you with valuable training in your chosen career field. It is offered part-time (Parallel) or full-time (Alternating).
Access to the Co-op course is by permit only once you have received an official Co-op offer. If you have a Co-op offer please report your Co-op offer/hire now.
Although employers may use the terms “Internship” and “Co-op” interchangeably, they are not the same academically. Below you will find the key requirements of a Co-op experience:
- Company must have a physical location you will report to
- Supervisor must be a subject matter expert in the field you are engaging in the Co-op experience for and serve as a mentor for your professional development
- Supervisor must be willing to establish learning objectives and provide evaluation of your performance each semester you are out on Co-op
- Paid; minimum of 15 hours per week
- Tasks you are being asked to engage in is directly (at least 51% of work tasks) related to the your current academic major
- Learning outcomes/objectives are related to your field of study
- Must require a minimum of 2 semesters of commitment by both you and the employer
- Each semester you are out on Co-op, the experience you are gaining should be increasing in complexity, building on previous duties, or a new rotation in a different facet of the field/industry. This is not just one long internship doing the same thing each semester.
CO-OP QUICK LINKS
If you have read through this information, or if you are currently in the Co-op program, and have questions, please email the Cooperative Education Coordinator and Instructor, Diane Mellon.
You may also visit Diane’s Virtual Drop-In Hours to answer questions about:
- Co-op offers and next steps
- Enrollment in Career Services Co-op (IDS 3949/4949) courses
- International Students with questions about CPT course enrollment options
PLEASE NOTE: If you are looking for assistance in finding an internship, please do not use Diane’s Virtual Drop-In Hours. Visit our Career Services website for the appropriate resources to assist you with your search.
Weekly Virtual Drop-In Hours:
- Tuesday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.