Minor in Criminology
The objective of the undergraduate minor in Criminology is to develop an educational basis either for graduate work or for professional training in the modern urban criminal justice system.
In order to receive Criminology minor recognition, students will be required to complete the minor declaration form and submit to the College office. In addition, the student will be required to list the minor upon completion of the graduation application.
New Requirements For the 2020-2021 Catalog Year
A total of 18 hours is required for completion of the minor. A minimum of 9 semester hours must be completed through USF Tampa.
TOTAL MINOR CREDIT HOURS: 18
MINOR CORE CREDIT HOURS: 6
- CCJ 3024 Survey of Criminal Behavior
- CCJ 3117 Theories of Criminal Behavior
MINOR ELECTIVE CREDIT HOURS: 12
Students are to select 12 hours (4 courses) from the list of electives:
- CCJ 3014 Crime and Justice in America (3)
- CCJ 3336 Prisoner Reentry (3)
- CCJ 3336 Prisoner Reentry and Recidivism (3)
- CCJ 3621 Patterns of Criminal Behavior (3)
- CCJ 3644 White Collar Crime (3)
- CCJ 3666 Victimology (3)
- CCJ 4072 Introduction to Crime Mapping with ArcGIS (3)
- CCJ 4166 Alternatives to Incarceration (3)
- CCJ 4224 Miscarriages of Justice (3)
- CCJ 4361 Death Penalty (3)
- CCJ 4450 Criminal Justice Administration (3)
- CCJ 4487 Ethics and the Criminal Justice System (3)
- CCJ 4604 Abnormal Behavior/Criminality (3)
- CCJ 4613 Forensic Psychology (3)
- CCJ 4651 Drugs and Crime (3)
- CCJ 4662 Race and Crime (3)
- CCJ 4670 Women and Crime (3)
- CCJ 4681 Domestic Violence (3)
- CCJ 4690 Sex Offenders (3)
- CCJ 4794 Environmental Criminology (3)
- CCJ 4930 Critical Issues in Policing (3)
- CCJ 4933 Special Topics Courses (3) (Examples include: Serial Killers, Gangs, Crime & Public Policy, Cybercrime). Repeatable when taken under different titles.
- CJC 4010 American Correctional System (3)
- CJE 3444 Crime Prevention (3)
- CJE 3650 Introduction to Forensic Science (3)
- CJE 4010 Juvenile Justice System (3)
- CJE 4114 American Law Enforcement Systems (3)
- CJE 4610 Criminal Investigation (3)
- CJL 3110 Substantive Criminal Law (3)
- CJL 3502 Introduction to The Courts (3)
- CJL 4115 Environmental Law & Crime (3)
- CJL 4410 Criminal Rights and Procedures (3)
- DSC 3013 Terrorism and Homeland Security (3)
- DSC 3594 Introduction to Intelligence Analysis (3)
A minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher in minor coursework.
Students minoring in criminology will be subject to the Department's "2 D/F" rule (no more than one D+ or below allowed in a Criminology course).
Courses may NOT be taken on an S/U basis up to a maximum of 3 credits.
Students who are minoring in Criminology will not be permitted to register for CCJ 4934 - Seminar in Criminology capstone requirement as it is designated for Criminology majors only.
At least 9 credit hours must be completed at USF.
CCJ 4934 Seminar in Criminology and CCJ 4940 Internship are restricted to criminology majors only. Students in the minor are not eligible to take these two courses.