Dates: July 20-24, 2020
Due to the University of South Florida regulations regarding COVID-19, the USF CyberCamp will be moving to a fully-online format. Our team of educators, faculty, cybersecurity students and industry professionals are working hard to transition our camp into a conference-style immersive experience in the spirit of the face-to-face CyberCamps of years past.
Students will work through hands-on cybersecurity exercises with cybersecurity experts virtually, engage with lectures from industry and community leaders, and network with cybersecurity students and professionals during this five-day camp.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a high school student interested in learning more about computers and cybersecurity?
The USF CyberCamp encourages high school students (grades 9-12) from across the Tampa Bay area to pursue careers in the rapidly growing cybersecurity industry. Hosted at The Undercroft in Ybor City, the week-long program helps students learn what being an ethical hacker is all about.
Supported by local cybersecurity student groups and industry leaders, USF CyberCamp participants explore cybersecurity careers while networking with industry professionals within the Tampa-area cybersecurity community. The USF CyberCamp curriculum is supported by Florida CyberHub resources and lesson plans from the Florida Center for Instructional Technology.
CyberCamp students participate in simulated cybersecurity exercises and explore topics including:
- Introduction to computer operating systems such as Windows and Linux
- Basic programming and coding
- Network setup and security
- Hardening and other security techniques for networks and devices
- Tools attackers use to perform recon on their targets
- How and why attackers perform password cracking, network sniffing, and other types of cyber attacks
- Social engineering
- Basic cyber defense strategies, including the tools used to defend systems and networks
- Careers in cybersecurity
Thank You to our USF CyberCamp Sponsors
- Cyber Florida
- BlackHorse Solutions
- The Undercroft
- University of South Florida College of Education
- Florida Center for Instructional Technology
July 20-24, 2020
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Cost: $100 per camper
Tuition discounts available for students of USF employees, military personnel, and current educators. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Full-Tuition Scholarships Available
USF CyberCamp works with community partners to provide a limited number of full-tuition scholarships to camp participants. Our goal is to make cybersecurity accessible to any and all students who are interested, regardless of previous experience. Application reviews take place as applications are received and will continue until funds are depleted.
A recap of USF CyberCamp 2019
The 2019 USF CyberCamp hosted 27 high school students and over 20 representatives from industry and law enforcement, providing hands-on cybersecurity exercises and networking opportunities over the five-day program. The camp brought together high school students, USF cybersecurity students, industry leaders, and experienced educators for a truly community-centered event.
With a broad range of speakers and professionals representing diverse backgrounds and roles, the 2019 camp highlighted the diversity within the cybersecurity industry, and allowed a diverse group of students from minoritized and underserved groups to consider the possibilities of pursuing a career in the field.
Highlights of the 2019 USF CyberCamp included:
- A briefing by the supervising agent of the FBI Cyber Squad, Paul Vitchock
- A range of engaging, hands-on "Capture the Flag" exercises hosted by CyberFlorida
- A discussion with Larry Whiteside, seasoned cybersecurity executive and co-founder of the International Consortium of Minority Cybersecurity Professionals
- A series of network forensics and lock-picking challenges assisted by the USF Whitehatters Computer Security Club
- A threat analysis exercise developed and hosted by Raymond James
- A culminating BlackHorse Recon Challenge, a cybersecurity activity that allows students to compete in teams to hack a simulated corporate environment and uncover fraud
USF CyberCamp in the News
- Tampa Bay Times: USF CyberCamp aims to grow interest in cybersecurity field (2018)
- ABC Action News: USF's Cybersecurity Summer Camp gets kids ready for jobs fighting hackers (2018)