Dr. Danielle Dennis
Danielle V. Dennis, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Dr. Danielle Dennis is an associate professor of literacy studies. She serves as the co-coordinator of the Urban Teacher Residency Partnership Program and as program director of the Cambridge (UK) Schools Experience. Her research focuses on literacy assessment, policy, and building teacher capacity. She is currently working with a primary school in Cambridge, England in building a knowledge-rich curriculum and studying the professional development support needed to build capacity across teaching staff and leadership. Dr. Dennis serves on the editorial review board of The Reading Teacher and is an associate editor of School University Partnerships journal. Dr. Dennis was selected as a 2014 PDK Emerging Leader. Additionally, she serves her field as a member of the Literacy Research Association's Policy and Legislative Committee, and the International Reading Association's Presidential Task Force for Teacher Education Reform.
- Dennis, D. V., Gelfuso, A., & Sweeney, S. (2017). Trying and reflecting: Frameworks to support teacher educators in developing understandings of literacy teaching cycles through experience. Education 3-13. DOI: 10.1080/03004279.2017.1359646
- Gelfuso, A. & Dennis, D. V. (2017). Reproducing Figured Worlds of Literacy Teaching and Learning: Examining the “Language-In-Use” of an Inservice and Preservice Teacher Enacting the Practice of Literacy Planning. Action in Teacher Education, 39(1), 67-84, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01626620.2016.1245635
- Gelfuso, A., & Dennis, D. V. (2017). Video as text of teaching: Toward more deliberate
literacy field experience supervision. The Teacher Educator 52(1), 57-74 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08878730.2016.1247203.
Dennis, D. V. (2017). Learning from our past: What ESSA can get right about literacy for all. The Reading Teacher, 70(4), 395-400.
- Dennis, D. V., van Ingen, S., Davis, J., & Mills, D. (2017). Urban teacher residency partnership program: A partnership between the University of South Florida College of Education and Hillsborough County (FL) Public Schools. In D. Yendol-Hoppey & D. Delane (Eds.) Working Together: Enhancing Urban Educator Quality through School-University Partnerships. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Berson, I. R., Berson, M. J., Dennis, D.V., & Powell, R. (2017). Leveraging literacy: Research on critical reading in the social studies. In M. Manfra & C. Bolick (Eds.), Handbook of social studies research. Boston, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Dennis, D. V. (2016). A teacher residency melds classroom theory with clinical practice. Phi Delta Kappan, 97(7), 14-18.
- Dennis, D. V., Branson, S., Flores, B., & Papke, A. (2016). The Cambridge Schools Experience: Developing literacy educators within an international School-University Partnership. In H. An (Ed.) Efficacy and Implementation of Study Abroad Programs for P-12 Teachers (p. 256-274). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.