Field and Clinical Education
Teacher Certification and Job Resources
Students who successfully complete all degree program requirements in one of the USF College of Education's initial teacher preparation programs are eligible for certification upon graduation. Certification is a two-step process involving:
- Completion of degree requirements and graduation from USF
- An application to the state for a teaching certificate
To graduate, students must:
- Successfully complete/pass all coursework, including final internship.
- Pass all appropriate sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE),
- General Knowledge Test
- Professional Educator Test
- All Subject Area Exam(s) associated with selected certification area
For resources to help prepare for the FTCE, visit our FTCE Resources Website.
Once a student has earned his/her degree, they can apply for a state teaching license with the Florida Department of Education (FDOE).
To become certified, students must:
- Earn their degree, as outlined above
- Apply for a state teaching license with the Florida Department of Education (FDOE).
Visit the FDOE website to learn more about certification for graduates of an approved teacher certification program.
Obtaining a Job in a School District
Upon completion of your program, you will be eligible to accept a position in a school district. If you are offered a mini-contract or temporary contract at the end of your internship, you will be hired as a long-term substitute. Once your degree is conferred and your Professional Certificate is issued, you are eligible to be hired as a teacher. In either case, you may begin to submit your applications to districts upon completion of your final internship.
Many districts hold job/recruitment fairs and employment boot camps to prepare you to be hired in their district. In many cases, our students are offered positions on the spot at district job fairs, so you are strongly encouraged to attend.
Applying for Employment
Whether or not you have been offered a position in a school district at the end of your internship, you must still complete the application process for that district. Below are the links to the application processes and portals for our partner school districts. Follow these links to current position openings as well as instructions on submitting an application for employment.