Groundbreaking research is a priority at USF. Explore the latest news stories to learn more about the research our faculty and students are conducting in the College of Education.
Virtual Pecha Kucha allows faculty, students to share brief research presentations
December 2, 2020
The Fall 2020 Pecha Kucha Research Event featured the work of eight College of Education faculty and student researchers who were challenged to demonstrate the most captivating elements of their research in only six minutes and 40 seconds.
Literacy Studies faculty and students to present research, receive awards at Literacy
Research Association Annual Conference
December 1, 2020
Students, faculty members and alumni from USF’s Literacy Studies Program will present their research at the Literacy Research Association’s (LRA) 70th Annual Conference. Held virtually this year, the LRA Annual Conference brings together individuals who share an interest in advancing literacy theory, research, and practice to engage in research and dialogue pertaining to literacy and related topics.
Preschool for Creative Learning receives $1.3 million grant to support USF student
November 9, 2020
The University of South Florida’s (USF) Preschool for Creative Learning (PCL) received a $1.3 million grant from the U.S. Department of Education to provide financial assistance and other resources to USF students who are parents of preschool-aged children. The project, “Childcare Access Means Parents in School” includes funds to provide partial tuition assistance for children enrolled at the PCL whose parent is a USF student and classified as “Pell-eligible” as determined by their financial aid status.
Virtual characters created at USF to teach emergent bilingual students English
November 9, 2020
A new research-based app developed by College of Education Assistant Professor Sara Smith, PhD, will soon be accessible to K-12 students and teachers in an effort to bolster a more multilingual society. The patent-pending Multimedia Augmented Reality Vocabulary Learning (MARVL) app is paired with special vocabulary cards by using the camera lens of a smartphone or tablet, which then activate two virtual characters who teach English to Spanish-speaking students.
USF selects 23 research projects for funding in anti-racism effort
September 9, 2020
A University of South Florida research task force working to address racial issues and attitudes on a local, national and global scale has selected 23 projects exploring a wide range of issues in systemic inequality, economic and health disparities, Black history and contemporary challenges for funding. Multiple research projects from faculty and staff in the College of Education were selected for funding as part of this effort.
UMatter program to provide young people with intellectual disabilities the opportunity
for a college education and experience
August 26, 2020
A new program led by a team in the College of Education on USF's St. Petersburg campus will provide a population of students who aren’t typically represented on college campuses the opportunity to experience higher education and campus life.
USF researchers partner with nonprofits CodeVA, TERC on NSF-funded project to bring
computer science into Virginia’s middle school history classrooms
August 19, 2020
University of South Florida (USF) professor Michael J. Berson, PhD, is partnering with Virginia-based nonprofit CodeVA and math-science nonprofit TERC on a multi-year research project to broaden middle school students’ participation in meaningful and culturally relevant computer science instruction during their history classes.
College of Education students and faculty present research, win awards at NAPDS National
February 21, 2020
Numerous faculty members and students from the College of Education shared their research and innovations at the National Association for Professional Development Schools’ (NAPDS) National Conference. The NAPDS National Conference brings together school and university partnerships from around the country and abroad to address the challenges faced while meeting the needs of the next generation of students, PK-12 educators, and university faculty.
Research News Archives
- USF receives grant to support doctoral studies in literacy interventions, special education leadership (October 18, 2019)
- USF research team trains middle school educators in identifying, improving student mental health problems (July 30, 2019)
- Associate Professor receives 2019 Nutritional Research Achievement Award from National Strength and Conditioning Association (July 22, 2019)
- Educational Psychology faculty member receives Fulbright Award to Hungary (May 29, 2019)
- Second cohort of teachers joins Tampa Bay Wipro Science Education Fellowship Program (May 9, 2019)
- USF researchers host panel to discuss mental health well-being in schools (April 30, 2019)
- College of Education faculty, graduate students to present at 2019 AERA Annual Meeting (April 4, 2019)
- USF research conference explores challenges and opportunities for inclusive education (December 5, 2018)
- USF to host fully online conference on teacher residency research (September 21, 2018)
- Special issue of research journal highlights work of USF students, faculty (July 19, 2018)
- College of Education faculty, graduate students to present at 2018 AERA Annual Meeting (April 9, 2018)
- Panel of USF experts discuss arming teachers, school safety (March 22, 2018)
- Education professors launch app that helps students explore Congress, civic participation through primary sources (November 30, 2017)
- School Psychology graduate students recognized for excellence at FASP Annual Conference (November 29, 2017)
- School Psychology Professor develops new tools to help educators inform behavioral interventions (November 28, 2017)
- School Psychology Professor researches school-wide behavior interventions through National Institute of Justice Grant (November 27, 2017)
- Faculty Receive NSF Grant to Detect Cyberbullying (October 2, 2017)
- Doctoral student receives student research award for focus on terminology in science education literature (May 2, 2017)
- College of Education faculty, graduate students to present at 2017 AERA Annual Meeting (April 26, 2017)
- Instructional Technology graduate student, faculty member selected for outstanding research presentation award (March 27, 2017)
- USF College of Education helping teachers engage students with cutting edge classroom technology
- College of Education Awarded $11 Million in Grants
- Multiyear Study Investigates Stress in IB and AP Students
- PE Professor Sara Flory awarded research fellow
- USF College of Education Inquiry Conference highlights innovative research in education