Frequently Asked Questions



1.      Is there a waiting period for State insurance to begin?

No. Employees are eligible to enroll in state-sponsored insurance coverage to be effective on the first day of the month following their date of hire, subject to guidelines involving submission of enrollment forms and the coordination of premium payment.

2.     Does family health coverage cost the same with only one dependent?

Yes, regardless of the number of dependents or if the dependent is your spouse or child (ren), the cost of family coverage is the same. 6. If I haven’t received or have lost my insurance card(s), what do I do? Contact your insurance company to request new cards and contact People First to verify your mailing address. If your mailing address is incorrect with People First, log into GEMS Self-Service to update your address.

3.    If I did not enroll in health insurance when I was hired, can I change my mind later?

Employees have 60 days from the date of hire to enroll. After that time period, employees may only enroll during the annual open enrollment period or if they experience a qualifying status change.

4.     What happens to my premium rates if I go from full-time to part-time employment?

Premiums are based on an employee’s percentage of full-time employment (FTE). If an employee changes from full-time to part-time, the FTE will change and they can expect to pay more of the monthly insurance premium. If an employee experiences a change in employment status, contact People First for options and premium rates.

5.   My spouse and I are going to have a baby soon. When should I add my child to coverage?

People First urges employees who anticipate the birth of a child to change to family coverage as soon as they become aware of the pregnancy. However, if individual coverage is in effect at the time of the baby’s birth, the employee will have 60 days from the birth of the child to enroll in family coverage. The effective date of coverage will be retroactive to the beginning of the month in which the child was born and premiums will be due accordingly.

6.  My statements from my insurance carrier are going to the wrong address. What should I do?

The employee should update their address within GEMS Self-Service. This change will be sent to People First and the participant's insurance carriers to update.

7. Do I have to make contributions to a Health Savings Account (HSA) if I open one?

No, participants are not required to make contributions to their Health Savings Account. They must be in a High Deductible Health plan and must actively enroll in the account in order to receive any employer contributions. Please note that there may be times that additional information is required to open an HSA. If this is needed, the Plan Administrator will reach out to the participant to request any needed information.

8. If I leave employment, do I lose the funds in my Health Savings Account?

No. Once contributions are deposited into your Health Savings Account they belong to you. The HSA is portable so it belongs to you if you leave employment. For further information, please consult the MyBenefits site.

9. I am a new hire that is currently covered under my parent’s insurance. Do I have to enroll in coverage now during my new hire period or will I have the opportunity to enroll when I lose coverage through my parents?

Benefits-eligible employees have the option to enroll, terminate or make other changes to their benefits elections during their new hire period, annual open enrollment period and if they experience a Qualifying Status Change (QSC). Losing coverage that you currently have with your parents would be considered a Qualifying Status Change and allow you to enroll in any coverages that you are losing. For instance, if you currently have health and dental coverage, those would be the plans you would be able to enroll in during that QSC. If there are any coverages that you may be interested in now that you do not currently have through your parents, you may want to review those options and possibly enroll during your new hire period, otherwise, you would need to wait until the next annual open enrollment period.