Corporate Training & Professional Education
Guidelines for Establishing Non-Credit Programming
The Office of Corporate Training and Professional Education (CTPE) is a unit within the Division of Innovative Education (InEd). Its primary focus is non-credit programming.
CTPE offers high-level consulting on how to start, set up and sustain a successful non-credit program. This includes guidance on how to comply with University and state guidelines, as well as vendor selection and management, partnership negotiations, contract review and more. These services are offered no cost.
If you are interested in discussing potential non-credit programs, please contact:
Director of Corporate Training and Professional Education (CTPE)
Important Aspects of Non-Credit Programs per USF Academic Affairs:
- Per BOG Regulation 8.002 (1a), and as designated by the Provost, Innovative Education
is responsible for non-credit program oversight, and for BOG and SACSCOC reporting
obligations associated with continuing education and non-credit activity.
- The University is required to file an annual report of all non-credit activity. In
order to comply with this reporting requirement, all non-credit programs must register
with (and supply an annual report to) the Office of the Corporate Training and Professional
- If you plan to offer a non-credit program, you must comply with BOG Regulation 8.002,
SACSCOC guidelines and USF Academic Affairs guidelines:
- You must notify or coordinate with CTPE regarding any non-credit programming in which
you plan to offer a certificate, certification or CEU’s.
- You must use the official USF system of record for registering and recording participants
in these programs, which is the InEd Registration Services portal managed by CTPE.
- All CEU’s associated with these programs must be issued by CTPE on behalf of the University.
- All non-credit programming reviewers and approvers must have a PhD, other advanced
degree, or credentials in the specific subject area of the proposal, and must have
a defined set of objectives. CTPE has two PhDs on staff that will review your curriculum.
- When considering entering into a contract with a third-party provider of non-credit content, instruction or services where you will be issuing certificates or certifications, the contract must be reviewed by the Associate Vice President of Innovative Education and USF General Counsel, and you must be granted approval to move forward. Proposals must avoid creating exclusive agreements that would prevent other areas of the university from engaging in similar non-credit progamming, or preventing exclusivity being granted to one party or one college for non-credit programming . If you already have general agreements in place, any new non-credit programming has to be approved by Innovative Education.
- You must notify or coordinate with CTPE regarding any non-credit programming in which you plan to offer a certificate, certification or CEU’s.
In order to simplify and to encourage speed to market, MOUs are not used for this process. This is the regular practice and all information is shared via email. Also, there is no deviation from this standard approach.
Registration Services for Non-Credit Programs:
All non-credit programs offered by the University must use the InEd Registration Services portal managed by CTPE. This portal, powered by Canvas Catalog, serves as the official USF system of record for registering and recording participants in all University non-credit programs.
The InEd Registration Services portal presents your program information a modern, user-friendly view. You can view an example here: https://usfcorporatetraining.catalog.instructure.com/browse/all?query=CTPEcert%2AHRM&sort=date
CTPE will build your registration page within the portal, using information you provide, including:
- Course or Program Name
- Short Description
- Cost of Attendance
- Meeting dates and times
We can add optional information as well, such as instructor bios.
Once a program participant registers for your course, your student is provided access to your course via CTPE’s instance of Canvas, which allows you to provide courses to non-USF students who do not have a USF Net ID.
Your instructors will be granted access to Canvas, which they can utilize as much or as little as they wish.
Registration Services Costs:
In order to fund all operating expenses associated with managing Canvas Catalog, CTPE charges $25 per registrant, plus an additional $5 per registrant if you would like to issue a digital badge to represent your certificate, certification or CEU’s.
Course Development Services
CTPE offers non-credit course development services through Florida Center for Instructional Technology (FCIT). These services are offered at a nominal cost. To learn more about non-credit course development services, please contact:
Dr. James Welsh