Future Scientists and Engineers
Our Summer 2020 programs will be announced this Fall. For more information, fill out the form and be sure to follow us on social media
- Non Credit
- Residential Only
- Rising juniors and seniors in high school
- Interested in STEM, engineering and hands-on research
- USF Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR)
- Busch Gardens
- USF College of Engineering
- USF College of Arts and Sciences
- USF College of Computer Science and Engineering
- USF Advanced Visualization Center
- USF Digital Media Commons
- USF Library
- USF St. Petersburg STEM INQ Lab
This academically intensive residential program will provide students the opportunity
to go behind-the-scenes and observe what scientists and engineers actually do. Students
will engage with world-class USF faculty in a variety of cutting-edge facilities located
in the College of Engineering, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Computer Science
and Engineering, Advanced Visualization Center, USF Research Park and the STEM INQ
Lab at USF St. Petersburg. This program offers hands-on experiences with brain drones,
robotics, 3D printing and modeling, computational simulations in biology, chemistry,
physics, and interdisciplinary sciences. Students will delve deeper into the study
of science and engineering by conducting an interest-driven research project.
Students will present their work at a culminating academic-style conference with research posters.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills by generating their own research questions for a personal project.
- Students will develop synthesis skills by writing an annotated bibliography based on the academic literature for their topic.
- Students will develop written and verbal communication skills needed for graduate or medical school by presenting their work in the form of a research poster at a final culminating mini-conference.
- Students will explore career opportunities in science and engineering by engaging in program activities.
7 days - 1 offering
- July: Sat. 7/27 - Fri. 8/2
$1,300 and includes:
- Accommodations in Maple Residence Halls
- All meals
- Academic instruction and program oversight by USF faculty
- All materials
- Hands-on use of laboratory equipment
- Field Trip to USF St. Petersburg Campus and Busch Gardens
- USF Pre-College water bottle
- Opening and closing sessions
SCHOLARSHIPS AND APPLICATION PROCESS
- Fill out the online Future Scientists and Engineers program application.
- Once you complete your program application, USF Pre-College staff will send you an email confirmation.
- If you’re interested in USF Pre-College need-based and merit scholarships, you can apply to these using the scholarship application link in your program application confirmation email. Students must submit the program application before submitting a scholarship application.
- Admission decisions with next steps are typically emailed to students one week after submitting the program application.
PROGRAM APPLICATION DEADLINE
- June 2, 2019 – Final deadline
If you are interested in meeting priority consideration for scholarship decisions, you must submit your program application by March 24, 2019.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE
- March 31, 2019 - Priority deadline*
- June 9, 2019 – Final deadline
*Please Note: To meet priority consideration for scholarship purposes, you must submit the program and scholarship applications by the following deadlines:
- March 24, 2019 for the program application
- March 31, 2019 for the scholarship application
2019 program has reached capacity
Included with your acceptance will be the information needed to complete your registration. The deadline outlined below is the latest date at which you can complete the registration for the program. However, it is possible for the program to reach capacity prior to the registration deadline. For this reason, we recommend that students complete their registration at their earliest convenience.
- July 5, 2019
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Phone: 1-888-873-4968
- Email: InEd-PreCollege@usf.edu