Water Sustainability Certificate
Skilled sustainability professionals are needed in order to create effective solutions to the complex global water challenges. This certificate program will equip students with the theory, practice and skills to guide communities and the different sectors in issues of water management. It will enable students to understand the complex regional and global water-related challenges and to develop innovative and sustainable solutions. This program strives to meet the defend of graduates and professions who would like to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to enhance their career opportunities in a reasonable time. The program is also attractive for many students who would like to use this as a path towards their M.A. program in global sustainability.
This certificate program is based on a multidisciplinary approach to sustainable water management. It will present water management issues from a technological, economics and policy perspective. The program will provide students with general knowledge on sustainability and deeper understanding of water management in a sustainable manner. It is open to students from multiple disciplines (Engineering, natural sciences and social sciences) and will build knowledge and skills for holistic and integrated approached to water management in the face of complex global challenges.
The Certificate is offered both fully online and on campus.
Applicants must meet University Graduate Admissions and English Proficiency requirements.
To learn about the application process, and to access the application, please review our application process.
Curriculum Requirements (12 Credit Hours):
- IDS 6233 Concepts and Principles of Sustainability (Credit Hours: 3)
- IDS 6235 Economics and Finance for Sustainability (Credit Hours: 3)
And select one of the following:
- IDS 6245 Sustainable Water Resource Management: Doing More with Less (Credit Hours: 3)
- IDS 6247 Water Resources Planning (Credit Hours: 3)
And select one of the following:
- IDS 6216 Implementing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (Credit Hours: 3)
- IDS 6246 Water Sensitive Urban Design for Sustainable Communities (Credit Hours: 3)
- IDS 6276 Navigating the Sustainable Food/Energy/Water Nexus (Credit Hours: 3)
- IDS 6280 Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation (Credit Hours: 3)
- IDS 6707 Envisioning Sustainability: Tools for 21st Century Communicators of Sustainability Science (Credit Hours: 3)
Time Limit / Average Time to Completion:
The approximate time to complete the Certificate is two years.
Credit Toward Graduate Degree:
Up to 12 hours of certificate course credits may be applied to a graduate degree with departmental approval.
Contact Information: http://www.grad.usf.edu/cert
REQUIRED COURSES (6 CREDIT HOURS):
- IDS 6233 - Concepts and Principles of Sustainability
- IDS 6235 - Economics and Finance for Sustainability
ELECTIVE COURSES (6 CREDIT HOURS)
- IDS 6245 - Sustainable Water Resources Management (Highly recommended)
- IDS 6938 - Navigating The Sustainable Food Energy Water Nexus
- IDS 6246 - Water Sensitive Urban Design for Sustainable Communities
- IDS 6247 - Water Resource Planning
For questions and academic advising, please contact Jamie Chmiel at email@example.com