Training & Technical Resources
All new personnel requesting the use of live vertebrate animals in research or teaching and requiring access to an animal facility must complete a Facility Orientation of Research Staff, which includes the following tutorial provided by a member of the Comparative Medicine facility staff.
Comparative Medicine provides University personnel working with animals with the following information and resources relating to their duties of animal care and use.
Training classes in animal use for IACUC certified research personnel are offered by Comparative Medicine monthly, on Wednesdays, from 10:00-12:00. Classes are a combination of demonstration, discussion, and hands-on animal handling, and are recommended for all animal users. Upon completion, a certificate is provided for up-loading to Item 3.5 in your ARC IACUC researcher profile.
Attendance must be scheduled in advance no later than 12:00 p.m. Tuesday prior to session by emailing email@example.com.
Basic Mouse (or Rat) Handling and Use Techniques
Training schedule below is offered in rotating facility locations, and includes animal handling and restraint, health assessments of rodents, breeding and weaning, subcutaneous injections (SC), intra-peritoneal injections (IP), oral administrations (PO), blood collection methods (submandibular, saphenous, cardiac), and euthanasia.
Rodent Aseptic Surgery Techniques
Training schedule in aseptic surgery techniques, is also shown below and offered in rotating facility locations and includes induction and maintenance of anesthesia, preemptive and postoperative analgesia, surgical preparation, aseptic techniques, patient monitoring, postoperative recovery, and animal medical recordkeeping. Prior to attending, a certificate of completion of the AALAS Learning Library Training module "Aseptic Techniques in Rodent Survival Surgical Procedures" must be uploaded to your ARC profile.
- Aseptic Surgical Training Wet Lab Certificate of Completion (PDF)
- Aseptic Rodent Batch Surgery Training Certificate of Completion (PDF)
COMPARATIVE MEDICINE TECHNICAL TRAINING SCHEDULE 2018
Attendance must be scheduled in advance no later than 12:00 p.m. one day prior to
session by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Training Sessions Start Time: COM 1:00 p.m., SRB 10:00 a.m.
July 11, 2018 - COM
July 19. 2018 - SRB
July 26, 2018 - COM
August 2, 2018 - SRB
August 16, 2018 - COM
September 6, 2018 - SRB
September 19, 2018 - COM
September 27, 2018 - SRB
October 11, 2018 - SRB
October 25, 2018 - SRB
October 31, 2018 - COM
November 8, 2018 - SRB
November 14, 2018 - COM
November 28, 2018 - COM
December 6, 2018 - SRB
December 12, 2018 - COM
December 18, 2018 - SRB
2018 Training Schedule
July 17, 2018
September 18, 2018
November 20, 2018
2018 Training Sessions Start Time: COM 10:00 a.m., SRB 1:00 p.m.
July 10, 2018 - COM
July 25, 2018 - SRB
August 7, 2018 - COM
August 22, 2018 - SRB
September 11, 2018 - COM
September 26, 2018 - SRB
October 9, 2018 = COM
October 24, 2018 - SRB
November 6, 2018 - COM
November 21, 2018 - SRB
December 4, 2018 - COM
December 19, 2018 - SRB
Comparative Medicine offers the following technical skills and services linked below which can be implemented by our technical staff or demonstrated and taught to IACUC certified staff.
To arrange technical services email email@example.com.
- Technical Skills and Services (PDF)
- Technical Skills and Services-CAMLS (PDF)
- Technical Services Order Form (MS Word)
- Comparative Medicine's Library (Excel) includes an extensive collection of veterinary medical, surgical, anatomical, physiological, and regulatory references, texts, and literature that is available for use and/or copying.
Aseptic Surgical Methods
- SOP 412 Rodent Surgery (PDF)
- Rodent Surgical Techniques (PDF)
- Anesthesia of Mice (PDF)
- Rodent Surgery Training CD from OLAW/NIH: contact CompMed@usf.edu
- Estrus Detection, Weaning and Sexing Mice (PDF)
- Left Ventricular Assist Device - Didactic Training (PDF)
- Mouse Blood Collection using the Submandibular Vein-Basic Skills (PDF)
- Mouse Euthanasia (PDF)
- Mouse Necropsy/Prosection (PDF)
- Mouse Perfusion (PDF)
- Mouse Prostate Collection (PDF)
- Mouse Retrobulbar Injection and Retro-Orbital Bleeds (PDF)
- Mouse Tail Snip, Ear Punch, and Identification Procedures (PDF)
- Rodent Dosing (PDF)
- Rat Saphenous & Femoral Bleeds (PDF)
- Basic Mouse Rat Methodologies Training Certificate of Completion (MS Word)
- Basic Training Certificate of Completion Multi-Species (MS Word)
- Aseptic Surgical Training Wet Lab Certificate of Completion (MS Word)
- Aseptic Rodent Batch Surgery Training Certificate of Completion (MS Word)
- Handling & Use of Immune Deficient Mice Training Certificate of Completion (MS Word)
- Physical Methods of Euthanasia Training Certificate of Completion (MS Word)
College of Medicine Imaging Orientation/Training
- IVIS Living Image Software User Manual (PDF)
- Vevo 2100 User Guide (PDF)
- iThera MSOT User Manual 1 Hardware (PDF)
- iThera MSOT User Manual 2 Software (PDF)
- iThera MSOT User Manual 3 User Guide (PDF)
- Small Animal Imaging Orientation/Training COM (PDF)
Please address questions to CompMed@usf.edu.