USF Guidance on Disclosing Foreign Relationships


Frequently Asked Questions

Should USF researchers therefore avoid international collaborations?

No. International collaboration is valued by USF and remains an essential part of the research and educational missions of the University. There are many options to pursue international collaborations at USF via university-to-university agreements, research sponsorship agreements, visitor and student exchange, etc. Support for research must be disclosed and any personal contracts or agreements between yourself and another institution must be disclosed in advance.


How is USF keeping track of this issue?

USF has formed a working group on the topic of foreign influence and continues to engage with federal agencies, research sponsors and national organizations.


Should USF faculty reduce international travel as part of USF business?

No. USF World and Export Controls provide guidance on travel to different countries and will continue to provide these services.


What do I do if I now see something I need to disclose to USF or a sponsor that I have never previously reported?

Whether you need to correct an omission or error in a previously submitted proposal or progress report, or you have a new activity to report, please contact your Sponsored Research Administrator (PDF).


I have an unpaid researcher or student working in my lab. How should I disclose this?

This must be disclosed as Other Support. Contact your Sponsored Research Administrator for guidance based on the sponsor (PDF).


I have been given other resources, such as cash gifts, material, reagents, direct-paid travel, or other items of value. How should I disclose these?

This must be disclosed as Other Support. Contact your Sponsored Research Administrator for guidance based on the sponsor (PDF).


I have an affiliation (paid or unpaid) at another institution. How should I disclose it?

Any affiliations or appointments (foreign or domestic) you have require prior approval through the University’s Outside Activities reporting process.  Further, for the purposes of completing sponsored program applications, such affiliations should be reported in the positions and honors section of your NIH biosketch or appointments section of your NSF biosketch.


I have work that is funded through another institution. How do I disclose it?

If you receive funding for performance of work at another institution, that work is considered an outside activity that should be disclosed to USF. Additionally, the research funding must also be disclosed in the Other Support or Current and Pending Support section of proposals and annual reports.


I have received startup funds from the University of South Florida in support of my research program. Do I need to disclose that resource to federal sponsors?

No. Internal USF startup funds do not need to be disclosed as other support or current and pending support. However, startup funds or other funds received from entities outside of USF must be disclosed as described on this website.


I have additional questions; where can I get help?

For assistance with reporting international relationships or activities to sponsors, contact your Sponsored Research Administrator (PDF).

To discuss any specific foreign affiliations or activities, contact the Export Controls program or Fred Pflueger, Export Controls Officer, at 813-974-0554.

For assistance with USF’s Outside Activity disclosure requirements, contact the Compliance and Ethics Program at or 813-974-2705. For USF Health faculty, contact the Office of Faculty Affairs, 813-974-5105 or visit the Faculty Affairs website.


Modified and used with permission from the University of Florida.