Additional Info - Export Control

When Do I Contact the Office of Export Controls?

  • I plan to travel outside the United States.
  • I plan to have foreign national(s) participate in my research.
  • My research involves subjects related to nuclear, chemical, and/or biological, weaponry, missiles, unmanned vehicles, or encryption technologies.
  • My project has contractual restrictions on publishing, proprietary information, or foreign national participation.
  • My RFP is marked "Export Controlled."
  • I want or plan to collaborate with a researcher or institution from outside the United States (PDF).
  • I will receive nuclear, military or space related information, technical data, equipment or software.
  • I need to ship items internationally.

If any of the above applies to you or your research, a determination must be made by USF as to the possible license requirements. Contact for guidance.