Basic Info - Export Control
Department of State
Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 22 CFR 120-130
- Covers defense articles, services and related technical data
- Controlled technologies are listed on the US Munitions List (USML)
Department of Commerce
Bureau of Industry and Security
- Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 CFR 730-774
- Covers "dual use" items; exports, re-exports, and activities (goods and technologies) items that can be used both in military and other strategic uses (e.g., nuclear) and commercial applications.
- Controlled items are listed on the Commerce Control List (CCL)
Department of Treasury
Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Office of Foreign Assets Control Regulations (OFAC), 31 CFR 500-598
- Covers economic and trade sanctions based on US foreign policy and national security goals against targeted foreign countries, terrorists, international narcotics traffickers, and those engaged in activities related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
- Designated individuals, banks, companies, and other entities who are considered a threat to national security or who participate in activities that are against U.S. foreign policy are placed on the Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List (SDN list).