- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (National Research Council, 2010) (PDF)
- AVMA Guidelines on Euthanasia (American Veterinary Medical Association, June 2013) (PDF)
- Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (National Institutes of Health, August 2002) (PDF)
- National Association for Biomedical Research video: “Why Animals are Needed in Research” (YouTube)
- PHS/OLAW Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals - Frequently Asked Questions
- What Investigators Need to Know about the Use of Animals (PDF)
- NIH Office of Animal Laboratory Welfare
- NIH Medical Research with Animals Website: Resources for Researchers and Institutions - links to funding opportunities, grant writing guidance when animals are involved in research, emergency preparedness resources for animal facilities, etc.
- NIH Animal Research Advisory Committee (ARAC) Guidelines Webpage Numerous guidelines and procedures on animal
- Publications available from OLAW
- Searching for alternatives to the use of laboratory animals
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- Animal Welfare
- Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC)
- The 3 Rs - Replacement, Reduction and Refinement
Resources for IACUC Members
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Guidebook (ARENA/OLAW) (PDF)
- IACUC.org, a resource page for IACUCs, provides a wealth of information about these important committees
- NIH Office of Animal Laboratory Welfare Tutorial
A tutorial for new animal care and use committee members, institutional administrators, investigators, animal care personnel, veterinarians, or others who are interested in learning about the PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) - Regulatory agency that monitors compliance with PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- Animal Welfare and the 3 Rs (PDF) - Information about good practice in laboratory animal welfare and the three Rs.
- Laboratory Animal Tours - Lab Inspection Training Resources
- Reducing Regulatory Burden in Animal Research - Recommendations for Change
FASEB - Recap: Reducing Regulatory Burden in Animal Research - Recommendations for Change - February 01, 2018