Since 1966, fraternities and sororities have contributed to the history, achievements, pride, and overall student experience on campus and within the surrounding Tampa Bay community. Today our community fosters membership opportunities in 49 distinctly unique organizations across 4 governing councils reflecting the diversity of our USF student body with each chapter embracing our four core values: Integrity, Learning, Leadership, and Service. The fraternity and sorority community embodies 6.5% of the approximate 47,000 student population. Our members are heavily involved in leadership opportunities within Student Government, Orientation, USF Ambassadors, and much more. Today's Fraternities and Sororities are the largest and most visible values-based organizations on campus. Offering some of the most successful leadership development programs and community service opportunities fraternity and sorority life is a pillar for the community. We serve as a part of the largest network of volunteers in the nation contributing 45,000 of more than 10 million hours of service annually.
- 1967 Fraternity and Sorority Community at USF is established. Founding organizations
were Panhellenic and IFC organizations.
- 1968 Conversations regarding the establishment of Greek housing begin.
- 1972 First NPHC organizations established at USF.
- March 1973 A proposal is submitted for fraternities to purchase apartments from the
- April 1973 There was no interest on behalf of the fraternities to purchase the apartment
complex from the Foundation.
- 1983 Plans for Greek housing located on W. Holly and Magnolia are stopped due to a
lack of interest in part by Greek organizations.
- 1985 Members of Sigma Nu Housing Corporation meet with Vice President of Student Affairs
Dan Walbolt to again entertain the notion of Greek Park at USF.
- 1986 USF identified the property on the corner of 50th Street and Fowler Avenue as
the new Greek Park.
- Feb. 1991 Greek housing location is moved because the established location was unsuitable
for building housing. The University redesigns Greek Park and places it off of Elm
- 1994 First multicultural Greek organization is founded at USF.
- 1998 Black Panhellenic Council becomes the National Pan-Hellenic Council. Also, conversations
regarding groundbreaking for Greek Village begin between President Castor and Vice
- July 1998 USFGHA officially formed.
- 2001 Unified Greek Council is established.
- 2004 Greek Village officially opens.
- 2006 Office of Greek Life becomes a stand-alone office reporting directly to the Dean
of Students. Number of staff members is increased from one Coordinator and two Graduate
Assistants to one Director, one Coordinator, two Graduate Assistants and an Administrative
- 2008 An additional Coordinator is added to the office staff.
- 2010 Standards of Fraternal Excellence and Fraternity and Sorority Expansion Committee are established.
- National PanHellenic Council Plaza built in 2019