About the MSC
The Marshall Center (originally called the University Center) was built in 1959 and opened in 1960. The University Center was one of the first five buildings that comprised the University of South Florida campus when the campus opened in 1960.
The early University Center contained the first women's residence hall (located on the fourth floor), academic and office areas of the College of Fine Arts, faculty offices with a typing station, cafeteria, post office with student mailboxes, bookstore, television room, and game room and information desk. Classes were held in the basement and first floor until the first classroom buildings were completed.
Major renovations began in December 1988. Included in the renovation was the construction of the Special Events Center. Renovation was completed in February 1990.
The building was renamed the Phyllis P. Marshall Center and formally dedicated March 3, 1994. In spring, 1997, Exterior Renovations to the MLK Plaza were complete, including an outdoor patio for the Marshall Student Center.
USF continued to grow significantly and found it was in need of a new student union building to support the substantial developments USF had undergone. Students in 2003 realized this and supported a fee increase to finance and endorse a plan to build our 230,000 square foot new union building.
The current building, including the MSC Plaza and bull fountain, opened on August 20, 2008. Today the Phyllis P. Marshall Student Center serves more than 10,000 student, staff, faculty, and visitors every day.
1,200 seat ballroom, 400 seat multipurpose room, 700 seat auditorium, 100 workstation computer lab, expansive food court, sports grille, fine dining restaurant, space for student organizations, a variety of lounges, study spaces, programming areas, large atrium and gathering space, several outdoor programming areas, courtyards, outdoor eating areas, and retail stores.