Vet to Vet Tutoring
Point of Contact: Shaina Gonzalez, Academic Enhancement Coordinator
***8/5/2020 UPDATE: The Vet-to-Vet Tutoring Program is going virtual for Fall 2020! Both tutors and students being tutored will have the ability to conduct all meetings remotely via Microsoft Teams***
The veteran tutoring program was developed to provide FREE tutoring to USF veteran students by providing knowledgeable veteran tutors. The program started in November of 2013 and has helped many veterans improve their academic performance.
This program is different than any other tutoring program available to you on campus. You will be tutored on an individual basis by a qualified tutor who is knowledgeable in the subject area you need tutoring in, and is a Veteran themselves or related to a Veteran. The tutoring will not cost you anything but your time and commitment to succeed.
If we do not have a tutor for the subject in which you need assistance, please still complete the Tutor Request Form and we will attempt to locate a qualified tutor for you.
FALL 2020 COURSE AVAILABILITY:
- MAC 1105 - College Algebra
- MAC 1147 - Pre-calculus
- MAC 2311 - Calculus I
- CHM 2045 - General Chemistry I
- CHM 2046 - General Chemistry II
- CHM 2210 - Organic Chemistry I
- PHY 2053 - Physics I
- PHY 2054 - Physics II
- BSC 2010 - Biology I
- BSC 20185/L - Anatomy and Physiology
- ENV 4001 - Environmental Systems
- EML 3041 - Computational Methods
- Digital Skills Assistance: including Microsoft Teams and Canvas
*Other subjects may be available upon request.
Tutoring is a great opportunity to help other veterans succeed in their education programs. Your knowledge and skills are valuable resources and if you are willing, we would love to utilize those resources. If you are interested in applying to become a tutor, please refer to the information below.
- Must be a Veteran or Veteran Dependent
- USF undergraduate or graduate student
- Must be using VA Education Benefits with a current enrollment of at least 3/4 time
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 in the subject areas to be tutored
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and subject knowledge required
- Firm desire to help other student Veterans succeed
- Clear articulation in English
- At least a 2nd year student (undergraduates)
Benefits to tutoring:
- PAID Tutoring position
- Earn a National Certification for Tutoring
- Gain professional experience to use on your resume (i.e. leadership and organization skills)
- Provide peer support to other student veterans