Congratulations on becoming a USF Bull! This year will prepare and challenge you to carefully consider your academic and career choices. The good news is there are plenty of resources to guide you along the way.
Here are the top 5 tips for maximizing discovery during your freshman year:
- Create a network. Meet friends and discover resources to support you through your four years. Check
out New Student Connections and Week of Welcome Activities to find clubs and organizations that interest you.
- Commit to your academics. Attend classes as scheduled, meet with your instructors regularly, and visit you academic advisor to discuss your academic planning. These steps will help ensure you stay connected
to your major and graduate on-time.
- Reflect on your future career goals. If you are certain of you major selection, start researching career-related opportunities.
If you are not certain, do some further exploration; there are tools to assist you
at Career Services.
- Recognize your strengths and limitations. Building on your strengths and acknowledging your limitations is vital to your academic
success. You will be challenged in new ways, so don't fall back on old habits; they
may not work in this new learning environment. Utilize the Tutoring Hub and the Writing Studio located at the Academic Success Center in the Library for assistance with creating new approaches to learning.
- Take responsibility. The freedom to choose includes dealing with the consequences of your choices. If you find yourself being challenged by this new freedom, there are resources to assist. Check out the Center for Student Well-Being for all the ways you can take charge of your personal wellness.