Office of Summer Initiatives
The Office of Summer Initiatives offers includes the Summer Academic and Cultural Engagement Program (ACE) and Maymester.
The Summer Academic and Cultural Engagement (ACE) Program is a program for students that runs on an alternate summer schedule to help facilitate the transition from high school to college. Students will experience specialized courses, community engaged learning, and one-on-one mentoring to assist their transition to a university environment.
After orientation and welcome programming, students will embark on their academic journey at USF. Their first semester, the ACE summer, is a 4-week long semester where students will take two, 3-credit courses facilitated at the University of South Florida – Tampa Campus.
Courses will involve service-learning opportunities to allow students to become engaged with the community surrounding the University of South Florida and learn more about their new home – all while earning the required class credit!
ACE students will take 1 three-credit general education course based on their “Herd” or student interest academic track. In addition, all ACE students will enroll in Critical Thinking: Foundations of Interdisciplinary Knowledge and Inquiry (IDS 2378), a course that fulfills the USF Creative Thinking requirement. Learn more about enhanced general education curriculum.
Perks of Summer ACE:
- Fulfill six (6) out of the nine (9) summer semester credit requirements that are required by ALL first-year students.
- Enhanced assistance in the onboarding process
- Our renowned #ACEfam faculty
- Community based learning opportunities built into the courses
Enhanced assistance in the onboarding process
- Mentorship throughout the summer and fall
- Summer programming model and enhanced programming in the fall/spring
- Consistent support from our office from now through graduation and beyond