Scholars & Employees

Employment Visas

The Office of International Services (OIS) works with University administrators and employees to provide them with information and advice on immigration matters to ensure the University and its international faculty, researchers, and staff are in compliance with the regulations of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agencies, the Department of State (DOS), and the Department of Labor (DOL).

In conjunction with USF’s designated attorney, OIS assists hiring departments with obtaining employment authorization in the form of an employment-based visa for qualifying international employees. Visa categories commonly used by USF include H-1B, TN, O-1, and E-3.

Basic Eligibility for an Employment-based Visa

  • The hiring unit is a university system college, department, or division that pays the employee with a university paycheck.
  • The official university position description requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a specific discipline or area.  This typically applies to faculty and administrative positions only.
  • The USF position is for full-time (1.0 FTE) employment. 

H1B, 0-1, and TN (in US) Process at USF


H1-B, O-1, and TN (in US) Process

  • International individual is offered employment and receives an official USF offer letter.
  • USF internal approval forms are completed, signed, and sent to OIS.
  • Links to internal approval forms
  • Links to Export Control Forms
  • After OIS connects the department with the USF Designated Counsel, all relevant data is collected from the employee and department /law firm to file the petition.

TN Process Via US Port of Entry

  • The TN visa can be obtained via travel from Canada or Mexico to a US port of entry. This visa is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who possess the minimum qualifications for a profession listed in the NAFTA Agreement.
  • The hiring department works with OIS for the appropriate employment letter and travel instructions.