Events & Programs
Spring 2018 Undergraduate Research Conference
Watch the Video
On Thursday, April 19, 2018, the Office for Undergraduate Research will host the OUR
Undergraduate Research Conference. The event will be held in the Marshall Student
Center (Ballroom and conference rooms) and will provide a venue for undergraduate
students in all disciplines to present their current research and receive feedback
from research mentors and peers.
The OUR will begin accepting applications for the Spring UR Conference in December, 2017
|Presenter Application Available||early December, 2017|
|Presenter Application Deadline||
Sun. March 11, 2018 (by 11:45 p.m.)
|Notification of Acceptance||by Mon. March 19, 2018|
|Submit Poster File to the OUR||Sun. April 8, 2018 (by 11:45 p.m.)|
|Undergraduate Research Conference||Thurs. April 19, 2018|
|Conference Prep Seminars||Scheduled in Feb., March 2018|
To participate in the conference you must:
- be a currently enrolled, degree seeking student in good standing
- affirm that your research is being conducted under the direction of a USF faculty mentor(s), and that you hold appropriate approvals to conduct the research.
- be available to present your research at the UR Conference on April 19, 2018
Presenters may select from three formats including Poster, Oral OR Arts Presentations
Posters must be sized to 32″(h) by 44″(w). Display pushpins will be supplied by the OUR.
NOTE: IF YOUR ABSTRACT IS ACCEPTED FOR PRESENTATION THE OUR WILL PRINT YOUR POSTER! YOU WILL RECEIVE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING HOW TO PREPARE AND SUBMIT YOUR POSTER FILE TO THE OUR FOR PRINTING.
Due to space limitations, the number of oral presentations will be limited. Oral presentations will run no more than 15 minutes in duration including questions.
Studio/Visual/Performing Arts Presentations
If you are presenting a studio/visual arts (painting, photography, installation, etc.),or performing arts (theatre, music, dance) project you may select from TWO presentation formats:
- Oral Presentation: Oral presentations will run no more than 15 minutes in duration including questions. During the oral presentation you will discuss your work along with images/videos of your work.
- Studio/Visual/Performing Arts Presentation: You will display or perform your art piece (painting, photograph, drawings, theatre, dance, music, etc.). You will also create a research poster, which will be displayed with your work. The poster must not exceed 32″(h) by 44″(w). Note: The OUR will print your poster.
Prepare Your Abstract
Please read the following information carefully before proceeding to the application form
- Compose your abstract (no more than 250 words) . Review the Abstract Guide to make certain that all required information is included.
- Review the Abstract with your research mentor, and make appropriate edits.
- You will copy and paste the text of your abstract directly into the application form.
Need help writing an abstract or creating a compelling research poster? Attend an OUR Conference Preparation Seminar. Register
Group Projects: ONE group member will submit an application on behalf of the group.
Arts Submissions: After your application is received, you will be contacted by the OUR with a request to submit supplementary materials/information including a physical description of work and installation needs (if applicable).
Students selected to participate will receive final notification by March 19, 2018.
Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed.
Research in Excellence Awards
The OUR will grant approximately thirty Research in Excellence Awards during the UR Conference.
Submit an Application
Please note that UR Conference applications are submitted through USF Scholar Commons, which is hosted by BePress. When you click the APPLY button below you will land on the USF BePress registration page. You will be prompted to enter a current BePress account or create a new account (Note:Your USF username and password will not work on BePress).
Once you create an account (or log in) you will be directed to the UR Conference application page.
Do you have a passion for student success? Serve as an UR Conference Facilitator!
The OUR is currently accepting applications from USF faculty, staff, graduate students, postdocs and alumni who want to serve as Facilitators during the 2018 Undergraduate Research Conference. The UR Conference will be held on Thursday April 19, 2018 in the USF Marshall Student Center and will be part of the USF week celebration. Facilitators will engage with student presenters ( between 6-8) and complete a short feedback rubric. The primary role of facilitators is to provide support and useful feedback to student presenters (This is NOT a judging role). Facilitators do not need to be content experts, however, they must possess a high level of enthusiasm and strong interest in undergraduate research. The OUR will provide "best practices".
On the Day of the conference facilitators will:
- Enthusiastically engage with student presenters and provide feedback (via a short online form). Participation in multiple sessions is welcome!
- Complete an electronic event feedback form
Ready to sign up? Please complete this online form.
Conference Class Visits
This initiative fosters greater student awareness of, and excitement about, undergraduate research opportunities at USF. Faculty may register one or more of their courses to attend oral or poster presentations. Participation is open to any undergraduate course. General education courses and courses targeting first- and second-year undergraduates are strongly encouraged to participate.
THE DEADLINE FOR CLASS REGISTRATION IS APRIL 16, 2018
Information for Faculty
To register a class for this initiative:
What the OUR Will Provide
On the Day of the Conference the OUR will:
- Check in your students and track attendance
- Provide each student with a copy of the Engagement Questionnaire
- Provide instructions for completing the questionnaire and interacting with at least 2 student presenters.
- Collect completed questionnaires
After the Conference the OUR will:
Send faculty a list of class attendees and scanned copies of the completed questionnaires.
2018 CONFERENCE SPONSOR: RESEARCHONE
ResearchOne is a celebration of research-related activities and events that showcase
the work of our researchers throughout the USF System. From its beginnings as a single
week of events in the Fall of 2008, ResearchOne has expanded to promote USF research-related
events and activities year-round, on all USF campuses.
Fall 2017 Undergraduate Research (UR) Conference
On Mon. Oct. 9, 2017 the Undergraduate Research Society (URS) hosted the inaugural
Fall Undergraduate Research Conference. Part of Homecoming Week celebrations, this
student-led conference provided a venue for undergraduate scholars to present their
current research, and receive feedback from the USF community. The conference also
featured a graduate school and internship fair. The event was sponsored by the Office
for Undergraduate Research.