Dr. Michael Berson
Dr. Michael J. Berson
Professor of Social Science Education, Coordinator - Social Science Education Ph.D. Program, Senior Fellow - The Florida Joint Center for Citizenship
Office: EDU 308D
Phone: (813) 974-7917
Fax: (813) 974-3837
- Ph.D., The University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio.
- M.Ed., The University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio.
- B.A., University at Buffalo The State University of New York, Buffalo, New York.
- Social Studies
- Elementary Social Studies Education
- Civic Education
- Holocaust Pedagogy
- Technological Innovation
- Teaching with Primary Sources
- Digital Citizenship/Cybersecurity in Schools
- Global Child Advocacy
- Teacher Education
- Visual Research Methods
- Participatory Methodologies
- Social Science Education— B.S., M.Ed., MAT., Ph.D.
- Elementary Education
- Urban Teacher Residency Partnership
- Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Teacher Education—Ph.D.
- EDG 3801: Cybersecurity and the Everyday Citizen
- EDG 6436: Cybersecurity in the Schools
- EDG 7368: Visual Research Methods in Education
- EDG 7931: Advanced Research on Pedagogy and the Holocaust
- SSE 4313: Teaching Elementary School Social Studies
- SSE 6617: Trends in K-6 Social Science Education
- SSE 6932: Technology in the Social Studies
- SSE 6932: Teaching the Holocaust
- SSE 7720: Social Science Education Technological Innovations
- SSE 7945: Applied Research in Social Science Education
Dr. Michael J. Berson is a Professor of Social Science Education at the University of South Florida and a Senior Fellow in The Florida Joint Center for Citizenship. He coordinates the USF College of Education Ph.D. Program in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in Social Science Education.
Dr. Berson has received the USF Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, was twice chosen as the USF nominee for the United States Professor of the Year Program sponsored by CASE and The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, was honored with the USF Institute on Black Life Advisory Committee Outstanding Faculty Service Award, was recognized for his service learning work by the University of South Florida Office of Community Engagement and Partnerships, and has received international recognition for integrating emerging technologies into instruction and modeling innovative pedagogy. He also was honored with the National Council for the Social Studies President's Award for outstanding contribution to the field and was selected for the Florida Council for the Social Studies International Relations Award for his research in global child advocacy.
Dr. Berson has served as an advisor on cybersecurity and the integration of technology into education to companies and organizations throughout the world. Among his leadership positions, he was elected Chair of the College and University Faculty Assembly of the National Council for the Social Studies, Vice President of the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education, President of the Social Science Education Consortium, and a member of the Advisory Board for the International Society for the Social Studies.
Dr. Berson has extensively published books, chapters, and journal articles and presented his research worldwide. He was named the Association of Educational Publishers Distinguished Achievement Award Winner in the Learned Article category. He has been the principal investigator, co-principal investigator, or primary partner on grants from the United States Department of Education, Florida Department of Education, the Spencer Foundation, and the Library of Congress.
- Kindergarteners as Apprentice Citizens
- KidCitizen Expandable Mobile and Online Apps for Elementary grades on Congress and Civic Participation
- Teaching with Culturally Specific Primary Sources in Puerto Rico and Florida to Build Social Capital among Preservice Teachers
- Traversing Rough Waters: Introducing Challenging Topics with Primary Sources in Early Childhood and Primary Grades
- History Unfolded
- Building Blocks: Turtles, Bots, Dashes and Dots
- Education Professors Launch App
- Berson, I. R., Berson, M. J., & Snow, B. (2017). Kid Citizen: Designing an app for inquiry with primary sources. Social Education, 81(2), 105-108.
- Kelly-Williams, S., Berson, I. R., & Berson, M. J. (2017). Tablet nuff but life still rough: Technology for early childhood sustainable development in Jamaica. Discourse and Communication for Sustainable Education, 8(1).
- Diem, R. A., & Berson, M. J. (Eds.). (2017). Mending walls: Historical, socio-political economic and geographic perspectives. A Volume in the International Social Studies Forum Series. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Berson, I. R., Berson, M. J., Dennis, D.V., & Powell, R. (2017). Leveraging literacy: Research on critical reading in the social studies. In M. M. Manfra & C. M. Bolick (Eds.), Handbook of social studies research (pp. 414-439). Boston, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Berson, I. R., & Berson, M. J. (2016). Preface. In W. Journell (Ed.), Reassessing the Social Studies Curriculum: Promoting Critical Civic Engagement in a Politically Polarized, Post-9/11 World (pp. xiii-xviii). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Berson, M. J., & Roblyer, M. D. (2016). Teaching and learning with technology in social studies instruction. In M. D. Roblyer, Integrating educational technology into teaching, 7/e (pp. 333-351). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Berson, I. R., & Berson, M. J. (2016). A slippage of time: Using re-photography to promote community-based historical inquiry in the social studies. Social Education, 80(2), 113-117.
- Berson, I. R., & Berson, M. J. (Eds.). (2015). Child advocacy and early childhood education policies in the Caribbean. A Volume in I. R. Berson & M. J. Berson (Series Eds.), Research in Global Child Advocacy. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Haas, B. J., Berson, M. J., & Berson, I. R. (2015). With their voice: Constructing meaning with digital testimony. Social Education, 79(2), 106-109.