The Graduate Certificate in Gerontology
The Graduate Certificate in Gerontology is located at the Tampa campus, and since
Fall 2008 is also available with an Online-only Option.
The Graduate Certificate in Gerontology is designed for students who hold at least a baccalaureate degree. It provides students with an understanding of the social, psychological, physical, and economic forces that interact with the aging process. This certificate can be completed fully on-line as well as in the traditional format. Fewer electives are available, however, in the on-line format.
The Graduate Certificate in Gerontology requires 15 credit hours of course work.
- 3.0 GPA in upper-level undergraduate work.
- Students enrolled in the certificate program may apply for admission to the M.A. program with the following stipulations: transfer no more than 12 credits of certificate work and meet all requirements for the M.A. program.
Courses with ** are offered fully online
1. Required Core (6 credits) from the following:
- GEY 5620 Sociological Aspects of Aging (3)**
- GEY 6450 Gerontological Research and Planning (3)
- GEY 5630 Economics and Aging (3)
- GEY 6600 Human Development (3)**
- GEY 6613 Physical Change and Aging (3) **
2. Electives: any 9 credits from the following list, including any courses listed above not used for your core requirement.
- GEY 5642 Perspectives on Death & Dying (3)
- GEY 6206 Family Caregiving in Aging and Chronic Illness ** (3)
- GEY 6230 Health Care Risk Management and Patient Safety ** (3)
- GEY 6321 Gerontological Counseling (3)
- GEY 6325 Social Policy and Planning for Gerontology (3)
- GEY 6326 Geriatric Interdisciplinary Teams ** (3)
- GEY 6500 Seminar in Principles of Administration (3)
- GEY 6607 Alzheimer's Disease Management (3)
- GEY 6614 Aging and Mental Disorders ** (3)
- GEY 6615 Topics in Psychopathology and Aging (3)
- GEY 6616 Mental Health Assessment for Older Adults (3)
- GEY 6617 Gerontological Counseling Theories and Practice (3)
- GEY 6618 Gerontological Group & Family Counseling (3)
- GEY 6626 Health, Ethnicity & Aging (3)
- GEY 6627 Women and Aging ** (3)
- GEY 6643 End of Life Care for Dementia Patients (3)
- GEY 6647 Ethical and Legal Issues in Aging (3)
- GEY 6934 Program and Service Evaluation ** (3)
- GEY 6940 Field Placement (1-6 credits)
- GEY 6941 Field Placement in Mental Health (1-6 credits)