CoTA Purchasing Procedures
CoTA Business Office Purchasing Contact
John Martin: (813) 974-9217 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Purchasing includes the following:
Requisitions & Purchase Orders
- Goods (items such as camera, tripod, microphone, etc.)
- Independent Contractor (individuals providing service such as lecturer, piano tuner, guest artist, etc.)
- Petty cash reimbursement, memberships, subscriptions, postage, freight, among a few other allowed purchases
Before any goods can be purchased OR an independent contractor's date of service a purchase order must be in place. To begin the purchase order process, please fill out and submit the Purchase Request Form to your Department’s Office Manager.
- Faculty and/or Office Manager fills out Purchase Request Form.
- Faculty and/or Office Manager submits form to Department for review.
- Office Manager submits form and other documentation if needed to Business Office no less than 5 days before purchase date/date of service.
- Business Office works to create Requisition.
- Expense Manager reviews Requisition and approves.
- USF Purchasing reviews Requistion and after approving a Purchase Order is established.
- Business Office informs Faculty and Officer Manager of Purchase Order number when it is fully approved.
- After the commodity is delivered or service is provided, an invoice from the vendor/independent contractor must be submitted directly to
USF Accounts Payable:
University of South Florida
Accounts Payable - ALN 147
Tampa, FL 33620
- Business Office must receive evidence of receipt of the commodity and service and at which time the Business Office will receive on it in FAST so the payment can be processed.
- USF Purchasing representatives are the ONLY individuals who sign contracts on behalf of USF. All other USF employees and entities can only establish an agreement (including terms and conditions) with individuals and companies outside USF. The agreement must be approved budgetarily by the College and legally through USF Purchasing before it becomes an official USF contract.
- Any agreements with terms and conditions AND signature lines need to be submitted 3 weeks in advance of date of service due to legal review.
- Quote requirements:
- $0-$4,999: one quote (verbal)
- $5,000 - $24,999: two quotes (verbal, written or sole source memo)
- $25,000 - $74,999: three quotes (written or sole source memo)
- $75,000 and beyond: conduct bid process or verify sole source
Other USF Purchasing Links and Documents
- Purchasing Procedures
- Purchasing Forms
- FAST Information
- Independent Contractor - Consulting & Professional Services Worksheet
- CoTA Independent Contractor vs. USF Employee Matrix
- Single Source
- Records Retention
Payroll Documentation for Non-Resident Alien Independent Contractor
- W-7 Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- W-8BEN Certificate for Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States
- University of South Florida Foreign National Information Form (FNIF)
- Independent Contractor Form
- Passport - showing expiration date (exception: required only if work IS performed on US soil)
- Visa - except when exempted by treaty (exception: required only if work IS performed on US soil)
- I-94 Arrival /Departure card - copy both sides of card. Please be sure the date stamped is legible
CoTA Business Office - Purchasing Contact
Name: John Martin
Phone: (813) 974-9217
Office: FAH 136
Mailpoint: FAH 110