The Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence (ATLE) supports full-time faculty (Professors, Associate/Assistant Professors, and Instructors) on the USF Tampa campus in Academic Affairs, which includes the following colleges: Arts and Sciences, the Arts, Behavioral and Community Sciences, Business, Education, and Engineering, as well as affiliated offices such as the Patel College of Global Sustainability.
- Faculty Fellows: Full-time faculty members that support ATLE in a variety of ways, serve a term of two academic years and receive $1,000/year for their service.
- Faculty Liaisons: Full-time faculty members who serve as a communication bridge between their home departments/schools and ATLE.
Full-time faculty may be interested in the following opportunities, which promote and facilitate collegial, interdisciplinary interaction:
- Faculty Learning Communities (FLCs): Cross-disciplinary groups of faculty who engage in a semester-long (typically Fall) exploration of a topic related to teaching and/or learning.
- Faculty Book Club: An informal, cross-disciplinary gathering of USF faculty who meet to discuss a variety of books related to teaching and learning.
- Peer Observation Groups: An informal opportunity for USF faculty to observe each other's classes in small teams, both giving and receiving useful feedback on their teaching practices.
- Canvas Camp: A one-day event, co-hosted with Innovative Education, that will offer workshops and best practices on using Canvas.
- International Teachers' Day: A face-to-face single-day event to familiarize instructors and teaching assistants of international origin what to expect from American students, how to minimize language issues, and how to leverage best practices in teaching to avoid problems that could otherwise crop up.
- Tech Camp: An informal, day-long, drop-by seminar, held each summer, where various technologies for teaching are demonstrated.
- Summer Teaching Symposium (STS): A multi-day event that focuses on teaching and learning strategies and renewal ideas for faculty members.
- Teaching Essentials: An online course (free to USF instructional personnel) discussing best practices in teaching, from writing quizzes and delivering lectures, to effective classroom management and strong course design. This resource is available in Canvas, the university's learning management software (LMS).
Faculty Teaching Awards
There are several online resources that full-time faculty may find helpful:
- Faculty Glossary: A list of terms (and acronyms) related to teaching at USF.
- Higher Education Glossary: A list of terms (and acronyms) frequently used in Higher Education in the United States.
- Syllabus Template: A USF-specific template with lots of instructions and examples to help you craft your own syllabus.
- Starting the Semester: Information to help you plan and facilitate a successful first day of class.
- USF Teaching Essentials: An online course (free to USF instructional personnel) discussing best practices in teaching, from writing quizzes and delivering lectures, to effective classroom management and strong course design. This resource is available in Canvas, the university's learning management software (LMS).