New Faculty Orientation
One of the initial ways the Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence (ATLE) supports new faculty is during ATLE's day-long teaching seminar during the annual New Faculty Orientation (NFO), which is hosted by the Provost's Office and supported by several other campus units. The NFO is typically held one week before the start of the fall term each year; you should receive additional information and invitations to the NFO from your departmental chair or representative.
During NFO, new faculty are strongly encouraged to join ATLE's Teaching Squares, which are 4-member cohorts comprised of faculty from different academic disciplines who support each other during their initial year of teaching at USF.
The Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence (ATLE) hosts several events that may be of interest to full-time faculty (Professors, Associate/Assistant Professors, and Instructors) on the USF Tampa campus.
New faculty may wish to consult several online resources to situate themselves to teaching at USF:
- Faculty Glossary: A list of terms (and acronyms) related to teaching at USF.
- Higher Education Glossary: A list of terms (and acronyms) frequently used in Higher Education in the United
- Instructional Resource Guide: An online glossary and listing of terms, policies, and resources here at USF.
- Syllabus Template: A USF-specific template with lots of instructions and examples to help you craft
your own syllabus.
- USF Teaching Essentials: An online course (free to USF instructional personnel) discussing best practices in teaching, from writing quizzes and delivering lectures, to effective classroom management and strong course design. This resource is available in Canvas, the university's learning management software (LMS).