Doctor of Philosophy
Program of Study
A minimum of 64 semester hours after the master's degree is required. The hours must be distributed in the following manner:
|Degree Plan Components||Credit Hours|
|Concentration Core||10 credit hours minimum|
|Electives||15 credit hours minimum|
|Statistics/Measurement/Research Design||15 credit hours minimum|
|Interdisciplinary Focus||3-4 credit hours|
|Dissertation||18 credit hours minimum|
|TOTAL||64 credit hours minimum|
In addition, all PhD candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Complete one year of full-time residency. It is understood that the student must enroll for at least nine semester hours during any two semesters within a 12-month time frame.
- Observe and critique at least two proposals and two dissertation final defenses (two within the department and two outside of the department if possible).
- Organize a major part of a conference or a doctoral student colloquia/symposia.
- Participate in a research project with an adult education faculty member.
- Attend one national and one state adult education conference.
PhD Candidates should also select at least two of the following:
- Repeat any activity above.
- Deliver a formal presentation on a research area of interest (to a faculty or professional meeting).
- Assist a professor in teaching a course; be responsible for presenting/facilitating several units.
- Conduct a significant job-shadowing experience with someone in a position consistent with your professional goals.
- Assist a USF Faculty member in making major revisions to an existing course or in developing a new course.
- Work on a district or institution-level research study with a faculty member.
- Serve on a college/university/department policy committee or search committee.
- Participate in a national certification program.
- Participate in other activities approved by Program Faculty.
For more information, contact Dr. Rosemary Closson or 813-974-8330.