Early Field Experience
Before students complete their final internship, they are provided with a structured pre-internship experience while meeting regularly in a university class. The objectives of this are for students to:
- Participate in structured observations of actual classroom teaching.
- Understand the implications, both positive and negative, of their actions and decisions in the classroom.
- Experience planning and developing coursework (lessons, units, and block plans) for teaching.
- Apply their knowledge of their discipline's content and teaching methodology in tutorial, small group and total class instruction.
- Perform a case study on an individual student.
- Explore current problems and issues affecting teachers of their discipline.
- Pursue special interests in their discipline while emphasizing extra preparation in areas where teachers often feel ill-prepared and uncertain.
- Become proficient in the use of professional literature in their teaching.
- Discuss and develop a personal and unique style of teaching.
- Prepare for student teaching.