Master of Education
M.Ed and Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program Admissions Requirements
Admission to the English Education Program is based on students demonstrated potential to complete the course, field experience, and scholarship requirements of the program, including essential academic skills and professional and content preparation. The admissions committee will consider each candidate based on his or her unique submission and qualifications.
The minimum requirements for consideration into the program are:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited university
- Satisfaction of GPA requirements by meeting one of the following criteria:
- A "B" (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) average or better in all work attempted while registered as an upper division student (usually the last two years of undergraduate coursework) while working for a baccalaureate degree, OR
- A combination of a GPA and GRE score that is acceptable to the faculty (this is not recommended unless you have already taken the GRE). The best way to enhance an application if you have a low GPA is to apply with excellent grades and performance as a result of your course work while a non-degree student. Students applying by this path should request that their instructors send e-mail letters of reference speaking to their instructional content knowledge and professional disposition directly to the program coordinator.
- Passing scores on the General Knowledge Test (GKT)
- For more information regarding the GKT, contact the USF Testing Center or visit the
Florida Teacher Certification Examinations website. The GKT is required for admission to State Approved Teacher Preparation Programs.
Since the GKT is required to complete your program, you are advised to take the GKT
rather than the GRE for admission, to avoid taking two tests.
- However, If you already have taken the GRE or are living outside the state of Florida, you can be admitted with a GRE score of 1000 or higher in place of the GKT.
- For more information regarding the GKT, contact the USF Testing Center or visit the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations website. The GKT is required for admission to State Approved Teacher Preparation Programs. Since the GKT is required to complete your program, you are advised to take the GKT rather than the GRE for admission, to avoid taking two tests.
- A Bachelor's Degree in English and graduates of other programs who are willing to complete the following courses within their programs of study: grammar, history/development of language, adolescent literature, American literature, British literature, world literature, female/minority literature, expository writing and creative writing. These courses will not be counted toward the degree and can be taken at any accredited university or community college. It is recommended these content courses be taken before Internship, but they may be taken afterwards per advisor approval.
Please submit the following with your application:
- Current Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Statement of Purpose
- Two letters of recommendation