SHS offers free flu shots to all currently registered students (while supplies last). Faculty and Staff can receive a flu shot for $25 (or have SHS bill your insurance). You can receive your free flu shot in one of three ways:
- If you already have a scheduled appointment, just let your nurse or provider know you would like a flu shot and they will administer it.
- Come into the flu shot clinic. No appointment required. Tuesday-Friday 10:00 am-3:00 pm in side the Immunization Office.
- Attend our annual flu shot event hosted every October.
Flu Shot Myths
- Flu shots will give you the flu.
- FALSE... the vaccine contains the dead flu virus... it is dead.... It cannot infect you.
- Vaccines are dangerous.
- FALSE... Vaccines are, arguably, the greatest medical advance in history. They've prevented more illness and death than any treatment.
- It's after November; it's too late to get a flu shot.
- FALSE... There are plenty of vaccines left, and the flu stays around through March, so you still have plenty of time to protect yourself.
- I got the vaccine last year, so I am protected.
- FALSE... Each year there are new strains of the flu virus and the vaccine needs to change to keep up.
By arming yourself with a flu shot you are protecting yourself and those around you.