Shelter in Place
During certain emergency situations, particularly chemical, biological or radioactive material releases, some weather emergencies, or the threat of imminent danger, you may be directed to “Shelter in Place” rather than evacuate the building.
Depending on the type of emergency situation, directions to shelter in place may be sent using a variety of communication tools, including: siren/loudspeaker system, MoBull Messenger, and/or digital screens.
If directed to shelter in place:
- Stay inside the building or find a safe place.
- If you are in a room with a door, make sure the door is closed.
- In various campus buildings doors may lock manually, remotely or not at all. If applicable and time permits, lock doors.
- If you are in a room with a window, make sure the window is closed and remain clear of the window.
- Remain where you are until further direction from emergency personnel.
Always follow all directions provided by emergency response personnel.