Tips on Crime Prevention
Auto Burglary Prevention
- Park in a well-lit area when possible.
- Remove valuables or place them in trunk.
- Put removable radio face plates in trunk.
- Lock the trunk, hatchback, or tailgate.
- Close your windows & lock your doors.
Bicycle Theft Prevention
- The more expensive and attractive your bicycle is the more likely it is to be stolen. A mechanically sound, generic appearing bicycle is a less likely target.
- Lock your bike! The best protection for your bike is to secure it properly with a hardened steel "U-shaped" lock.
- If your bike is missing call the University Police immediately.
To assist in the recovery, you should record the serial number and keep it someplace safe. Engrave your Driver's License number on your bicycle and register it with the USF Personal Property/Bike Registration program.
SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING(click the link for info)
Out and About
- If you are out after dark, use only well-lit routes.
- Be alert. Look around you. Be aware of others on the street. Make it difficult for anyone to take you by surprise.
- Use the buddy system and travel in a group.
- Know the locations of "Blue Light" emergency phones on campus.
- Use SAFE Team to traverse the campus at night.
In Your Residence
- Let a friend or roommate know where and with whom you'll be out, and when you will be returning.
- Lock your door, even if you are just going down the hall for a minute.
- When someone is at your door, never open it until you know who is there.