Bicycling is a common means of transportation as well as an increasingly popular source of recreation, exercise and sport. Along with increased use of bicycles comes the risk of significant injuries. in 2015, there were 467,000 bicycle-related injuries and 1,000 deaths. Learn how to stay safe on two wheels.
- Walk bicycles in congested areas.
- Slow down and yield to pedestrians.
- Signal and obey traffic signals and laws on the roadways.
- Bike lights are required at night.
- Wear a bicycle helmet.
- Don't wear headphones while riding.
- Bicycles are considered vehicles unless being walked.
- Bicycles yield right-of-way to pedestrians.
- Bicycle Safety, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention - Bicycle Safety
- How Not to Get Hit, Bicyclesafe.com