Dipayan Biswas, an Exide Professor of Business and professor of marketing in the School of Marketing and Innovation, teaches an undergraduate-level course in basic marketing, graduate-level courses in brand management and a PhD-level course in sensory and experiential aspects of marketing.
His key research interests include sensory marketing (with focus on retail atmospherics, healthful consumption related to foods/beverages and sensory aspects of brands), behavioral judgment, decision-making and digital marketing. Several of his research projects focus on consumption related to food, beverages and scents. His research has been published or is forthcoming, in the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of Marketing Research and the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, among others. He has been editor of the Journal of Consumer Marketing (2014-16) and associate editor of the European Journal of Marketing (2010-14).
He has been the principal investigator for a grant funded by the USDA (for $22,049) and a co-investigator for a grant funded jointly by the EPA and the NSF (for $181,851). In addition, for his research, he has received awards/grants from the Association for Consumer Research, the American Marketing Association, the Academy of Marketing Science and the Society for Marketing Advances.
His interviews and research have been featured extensively in the media, by over 100 media outlets, including the New York Times, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, NPR, BBC, U.S. News & World Report, Daily Mail (UK), Scientific American, Men's Health and Women's Health magazines and the Tampa Bay Times, to name just a few. Biswas has collaborated on research with several companies in the United States, Germany, Sweden, France and India. He has also been invited to present his research at seminars at Cornell University, Yale University, New York University, Reims Management School (France), Bayreuth University (Germany), WU (Austria), Linnaeus University (Sweden) and Tampere University of Technology (Finland), among others.
Biswas earned a PhD in marketing from the University of California, Irvine, and an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing
- MAR 7931 - Sensory Marketing
- Biswas, Dipayan and Courtney Szocs, (2019), “The Smell of Healthy Choices: Cross-Modal Sensory Compensation Effects of Ambient Scent on Food Purchases,” Journal of Marketing Research, 56 (1), 123-141.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, and Annika Abell, forthcoming, “Extending the Boundaries of Sensory Marketing and Examining the Sixth Sensory System: Effects of Vestibular Sensations for Sitting versus Standing Postures on Food Taste Perception,” Journal of Consumer Research.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Kaisa Lund, and Courtney Szocs, (2019), “Sounds like a Healthy Retail
Atmospheric Strategy: Effects of Ambient Music and Noise on Food Sales,” Journal of the
Academy of Marketing Science, 47 (1), 37-55.
- Lee, Na Young, Stephanie M. Noble, and Dipayan Biswas, (2018), “Hey Big Spender! A
(Color) Atmospheric Effect on Tipping Behavior,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 46 (2), 317-337.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Roger Chacko, and Brian Wansink, (2017), “Shining Light on Atmospherics: How Ambient Light Influences Food Choices,” Journal of Marketing Research, 54 (1), 111-123.
- Area editor, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Associate editor, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Business Research
- Member, editorial review board of the Journal of Marketing
- Chair, co-chair, three PhD students all of whom have been published and/or received external grants and/or received dissertation proposal awards and/or have been appointed to positions at PhD granting, research-oriented universities.