Dipayan Biswas, the Frank Harvey Endowed Professor of Marketing in the School of Marketing and Innovation, teaches an undergraduate-level course in basic marketing, a graduate-level course in brand management, and a PhD-level course in sensory marketing.
His key research interests are in the domains of sensory marketing and digital marketing, with focus on topics related to retailing, food and health. His research has been published in the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing and the Journal of Marketing Research, among others.
He is on the editorial review boards of the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing, and the Journal of Marketing Research. He is also area editor of the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and associate editor of the Journal of Retailing.
He has been the principal investigator for a grant funded by the USDA (for $22,049) and a co-investigator for a grant funded jointly by NSF and EPA (for $181,851). In addition, he has received research awards/grants from the Association for Consumer Research, the American Marketing Association, the Academy of Marketing Science and the Society for Marketing Advances.
His interviews and research have been featured extensively in the media, by over 200 media outlets, including the New York Times, Washington Post, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, NPR, BBC, U.S. News & World Report, Men's Health and Women's Health magazines and the Tampa Bay Times, among others.
Biswas has collaborated on research with several companies in the United States, Germany, Sweden, Netherlands, France and India. He has also been invited to present his research at LMU-Munich (Germany), Bayreuth University (Germany), WU (Austria), Linnaeus University (Sweden), University of Amsterdam (Netherlands), Aachen University (Germany), Magdeburg University (Germany), Yale University (Customer Insights Conference), New York University (Practitioner/Academic Multi-Channel Retailing Conference), Neoma Business School (France), University of Tromso (Norway), Indian School of Business (India), and Tampere University of Technology (Finland), among others.
Biswas earned a PhD in marketing from the University of California, Irvine, and an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing
- MAR 7931 - Sensory Marketing
- Ruta, Ruzeviciute; Kamleitner, Bernadette; and Biswas, Dipayan; (2020), “Designed to S(m)ell: When Scented Advertising Induces Proximity and Enhances Appeal,” Journal of Marketing Research, 57 (2), 315-331
- Biswas, Dipayan and Szocs, Courtney; (2019), “The Smell of Healthy Choices: Cross-Modal Sensory Compensation Effects of Ambient Scent on Food Purchases,” Journal of Marketing Research, 56 (1), 123-141.
- Biswas, Dipayan; Szocs, Courtney; and Abell, Annika; (2019) “Extending the Boundaries of Sensory Marketing and Examining the Sixth Sensory System: Effects of Vestibular Sensations for Sitting versus Standing Postures on Food Taste Perception,” Journal of Consumer Research, 46 (4), 708-724.
- Area editor, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Associate editor, Journal of Retailing
- Member, editorial review board of Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, and Journal of Marketing Research.
- Chair, co-chair of three PhD students all of whom have been published in UTD journals, received external grants and have been appointed to positions at PhD granting, R1 universities.